Home | News | Download | Packages | Forum | Wiki | Github

Your WTFs and frustrations in Void

But GPT is already supported by fdisk and necessary for UEFI setups.

Yeah I couldn’t believe that one either, I use Java a lot especially for database work, I’m not entirely sure why the rather odd decision was made that no one needs full Base functionality in LibreOffice, but I guess you’re just supposed to compile it yourself…

(Masato the Empty) #79

The fact that they’ve as yet been unable to get a Java build bootstrapped for musl might have something to do with it; if musl can’t have Java, then to do different builds for musl makes the template more complicated.

There could be other reasoning involved, but if that’s the main reason, then perhaps a PR would be accepted that builds in Java support on non-musl arches while still correctly building and packaging without Java on musl.

(note that this is assuming that building in java support requires Java during the build, but it is an assumption)

your assumption is spot on - even seems to require ant, and although it builds without too much complication (configure doesn’t seem to like dash) and despite the long build time (necessitating a few pints down the pub!) it does seem to build okay

I’ve yet to test the db stuff but at least I can have full access to base now…

(Masato the Empty) #81

That’s good to hear… my use for LO is quite narrow - I just need something that doesn’t absolutely trash .docx files that others need to open in MSO…

I love standards… there are so many to choose from…

M$ Office is hardly a standard, they change their spec every release just so projects like LibreOffice have to work harder to catch up :sob:

I thought they were following the open document standard (in their own make it ours kind of way…)

Yeah, they’re “following an open standard” just like they “love Linux.” It’s all PR, don’t believe a word of it. Microsoft hates everything open and actively tries to sabotage it. Every update to the MSO spec is partially directed at LibreOffice and projects like it.

As long as they can keep making arbitrary changes to their format, they can keep LibreOffice behind the power curve. That is good for MS, because the moment LibreOffice stops being an alternative and starts being an equivalent, MSO has a real competitor and becomes a less viable product.

I know it supports GPT on UEFI, but I want GPT on BIOS, which requires some special handlings. Specifically the boot partition need to have a flag set for GRUB to install itself. All tutorials I found told me to set a bios_grub flag but I could not find it in fdisk.

Now that I found the instructions on Arch Wiki I am a bit ashamed that I didn’t think of looking there: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB#GUID_Partition_Table_.28GPT.29_specific_instructions

Where may I update the documentation then?

Oh and it would be wonderful to be able to setup disk encryption by default. I liked the Ubuntu style of using the disk password and account password as one a lot. They make questionable technical decisions, but credits to their UI/UX work should be given.

Both GPT and MBR work with all disks I think, since all disks expose the block storage interface.

That said the installer definitely need an update. In fact I think it needs a conceptual update. The installer is not different from an configuration center. I think the installation process can instead become a tutorial on how to configure things in the system, and ask for two passwords then done.

Default Void Linux installation doesn’t have a firewall?!

(Alex) #89

I agree. It feels a bit nervy to connect a fresh install to internet, just to download/install a firewall. Well, maybe I am overly paranoid, due to I am coming from windows.

(oliver) #90

Is there really any risk? After a fresh install nothing is running - wouldn’t an exploit need something (port wise) to connect to?

(Alex) #91

sshd is installed by default and up and running.
Personally, I find it more logical if protection was installed by default and installing sshd if you need it, rather than how it is at the moment. But then again, I am not an expert.

(Masato the Empty) #92

sshd is needed for a headless install I think. (I know it works because I’ve ssh’ed into Void-live). Actually, ssh is one of the ports/services I find I always want open facing the internet, (though once I get things going, I later restrict the IPs to those blocks I know I’ll be using, i.e. work, my phone provider etc)

A properly set-up sshd won’t be cracked/brute-forced before you can get nftables installed… (unlike an XP box a few years ago that I’d set up connected directly to PPPoE, which already had malware popping things up before even finishing Windows update…

It does seem kind of odd that nftables isn’t shipped as part of base (it’s not exactly the firewall, which really lives in the kernel, but it may as well be since it’s needed to set/control the firewall…)

Reading through this thread, looks like it has turned into a collective thread for all sorts of problems which could simply be discussed in a regular thread, under an appropriate thread title. Doesn’t that make more sense than a mega-thread? Lot of stuff here has nothing to do with ‘inherent’ problems of Void-Linux.

(de69ja) #94

Not sure … about WTF/frustrations - most of my understandings stem from my incompetence to use a computer :neutral_face:

so yeah @rob_dot ,thanks for pointing out in four lines,i would have done in a five binder essay :wink: - im probably more interested in concerns that Void maintainers have,at least then im focussed on the most probable likelihoods.

(oliver) #95

It’s installed but there’s no symlink in /var/service to start it (on a fresh musl install anyway)

my frustration today is stalled package downloads. had to kill and restart the system update multiple times.