Home | News | Download | Packages | Forum | Wiki | Github

Your WTFs and frustrations in Void

(Userx) #56

I found it on github, and it has a make install that installs it, and it works fine Slackware 14.2 fyi

thanks

Thank you Pikachu :monkey:

GTK breaking on a regular basis :stuck_out_tongue:

(Masato the Empty) #59

ahaha! ha haha haha haha!

(seriously, don’t watch that video. you’ll regret it unless you really like Mandark)

That’s everywhere that GTK is used. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

GTK devs have promised that with 3.20, the big breakage that was needed was done, and it should be better now (we have to destroy xyz to save xyz I guess) but we’ll see. As long as they stick to their word that anything after gtk 3.22 is actually pre-4 (which I’m not sure I trust since, why keep the same major number?) that might be the case.

(moassama) #60

My tablet don`t work anymore afther atualization … it s works fine in live and fresh install,but in first update…
also the problem with qt programs what don t apply themes

can you in short explain your config (tablet and basic software choice) for a convenient exerience with your void on you tablet? thanks in advance

Definitely the installer.

I prefer manual installation for my needs, but gave a try to the installer for the friend’s laptop and was somewhat amazed.

1. One option simply didn’t work. Can’t quite remember what, but it just threw me back into the main “screen”.
  2. I had to manually type SSID and password for the wifi and it didn’t have any effect whatsoever
  3. I agree that “local installation” is a weird name for what it does.
  4. Some strange grub hooks that didn’t see windows 10 on the neibhouring drive, even though update-grub had no problems with that.

Also, it was rather strange how the live images didn’t update for some time while people were testing GCC 6.3.0 and I had to search for the images with the new kernel for my laptop on github.

Oh, and how it deals with old kernels also. I have limited /boot space, so after 3 or 4 updates (which I personally find strange after 2.6.XX times) I got no space left and the hooks didn’t succeed, so the machine failed to boot. Also, for some reason not all previous kernels got removed after vkpurge.

And, probably, the amount of strange FS-utils in base-system and usage of nvi by default instead of, say, vim or even nano.

That said would also note some lack of feedback while submitting packages and one of the most welcoming forums in the world-wide web.

(oliver) #63

Regarding the option in the installer that didn’t work, was it the locales section of the musl image?

With nvi, you also get a symlink from /usr/bin/vi so I kind of like that :slight_smile:

I want to say no, but I’m not sure about that, so it may be a yes. Also, one time my partition table and mountpoints did not change in the installer, but were set correctly in the system itself.

On the plus side I want to say a huge thank you to a person that made colemak keymap to be named simply colemak. In Gentoo, for example, it is some mix of letters and numbers.

(Pavel) #65

WTF moments…

That would be lack of Java support in LibreOffice, but only because I installed Void and went to university to find out in the middle of the lesson that I have most, if not all of LibreOffice Base functionality unavailable to me. That was quite a shock. I switched back to Arch on my main machine until I have enough time to figure out how to go about it in Void.

I also think Void is too central in its package ecosystem. There are a lot of packages of varying quality in repository, and once they get merged, they are more or less main team’s responsibility. It puts too much burden on the experienced people who would’ve otherwise spent their time on more mission-critical packages. Splitting some packages of dubious quality into some semi-unofficial repo may be a better way, I think. Yeah, it sounds like “Go Arch’s way 'cause I’m from Arch”, I know, but I don’t see devs having enough time for all the PRs in void-packages.

Again, this is just a point of view of someone who only starts getting into the Void. Maybe I’m missing something. For one, I saw a compelling argument of “if it passes into main repos, its template is definetily better than your average PKGBUILD from AUR”, and I agree with that (and templates themselves are much better than PKGBUILDS to work with).

Installer is a tiny bit cumbersome. It’s not very good at starting dhcpcd, I was defeated on my very first attempt at installing Void because the installer simply refused to recognize my ethernet connection. Turns out dhcpcd just wasn’t running. Why is a manual installation not possible?

Quality of packages varies as others have said. Some packages are missing dependencies. XBPS has no “recommended packages” or “suggested packages” so sometimes figuring out which optional dependency to install can be a drag.

CamelCased package names are annoying too! What’s up with stuff like AlsaMixer.app, screenFetch, and libXScrnSaver? They should be alsamixer, screenfetch, and libxscreensaver or libXscreensaver. I actually like the libX naming scheme for X packages, it doesn’t work for other types of packages though.

Seperation of XBPS binaries (xbps-*) has also been said before. I didn’t like how apt handles this, same goes for XBPS. The pacman-style switches are cool though.

These are small things though. Void is the most functional and most fun distro I’ve ever had the pleasure of installing. Keep it up!

Manual installation is possible. See here, e.g.: https://wiki.voidlinux.eu/Install_LVM_LUKS Just leave out the luks/lvm parts if you don’t need it. But I agree that it’s quite a bit hidden. In essence I think it’s using xbps-install with the -r or --rootdir option and chroot.

I actually like it that way: do one thing and do it well :slight_smile:

Personally, I’d recommend this guide for manual installation.

I find it more tidy and comprehensive. (However, I feel that it lacks cp -L /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/etc/ line, so the network works inside the chroot)

You’re right! I don’t have UEFI so this page just escpaped my attention. :wink:

Why is gptfdisk suite not included on the live image? I don’t want to use MBR in 2017.

(Pavel) #72

@cr6 I’ve seen it. It was unfortunately not as simple as removing a line from the template - additional dependencies were needed, and Apache Ant kept throwing a strange error, and I had no time for this, as LibreOffice with Java was needed immediately, so yeah… As I understand it’s now possible to use LibreOffice via Flatpak, and it may support Java there, so I’m going to try it again in a couple of days, when I’ll have a week of free time.

Anyway, as I understand it’s a thread about initial negative reactions and misunderstandings. I still think Void is awesome, I just wasn’t able to make it my everyday system at the time. Here’s hoping I’ll make it tis time.

You could install it

Live disk should provide everything an installation needs offline.

man 8 fdisk /GPT, or cfdisk. No need for gptfdisk.

GPT isn’t strictly needed though is it? MBR provides the highest level of compatibility and will work with all disks.

Same reason the guy who was having trouble setting up LVM + LUKS solved his problem by installing something that didn’t come on the live image.