Home | News | Download | Packages | Forum | Wiki | Github

Your WTFs and frustrations in Void

Then you use compiler flags, like -Werror, which makes gcc handle warnings as errors.

oh, ok. I wasn’t aware of such flag… maybe It can change my mind on gcc atleast. :slight_smile:

@Shampoo See my pull request #12516 :stuck_out_tongue:

(Mitchell) #262

This one took a little bit to figure out, connection refused when trying to sftp from one of my Void Linux boxes to another.

So, I ran sv stop sshd && /usr/bin/sshd -dD to see what was going on. Strange,

debug1: session_input_channel_req: session 0 req subsystem
debug1: subsystem: cannot stat /usr/lib/ssh/sftp-server: No such file or directory
debug1: subsystem: exec() /usr/lib/ssh/sftp-server

So I check the configuration between that of my two Void linux machines, sure enough
the path was different. It looks as if it’s changed to /usr/libexec/sftp-server

This is beyond frustrating to keep having little issues like this.

These are my own personal workstations which I rarely ssh into, infact I don’t even have
ssh set to start by default, let alone have I taken the time to change the config like I would
on a production server.

The next time I run into something non-trivial I’ll probably switch to Artix or Gentoo.

Is an awfully nice init system but I’m sorry the rest of the system is not only lacking polish but it’s downright unusable for anything but a hardcore developer’s workstation and the package manager is absolutely atrocious, specificying a remote repository has different syntax between query and install for instance? What is this madness.

And there was no configuration file ending with .${version}?
xbps doesn’t overwrite config files you you changed them and uses the versioned file instead.

(oliver) #264

I’m not a hardcore developer by any stretch of the imagination and I’ve been running void for on multiple boxes for at least two years.

(Mitchell) #265

On the machine with the problem:

mitch@sager /home/mitch $ ls -la /etc/ssh/ | grep sshd
-rw-r--r--  1 root root   3231 Mar 16 00:01 sshd_config
mitch@sager /home/mitch $

So I was wrong on this one I checked the man pages and both of them use --repository and work as expected.

(Gus Fun) #266

… aaahhhh…!!! :slight_smile:

(R.J.) #267

I requested a package around a month ago, someone made a template in less than a week but it hasen’t been pulled yet.

How long does it take, on average, to add a new package? Should I ask on freenode:#xbps?

(oliver) #268

This doesn’t answer your question but if you’re waiting for it, you can build it yourself pretty easily with xbps-src since you now have the template. Getting the template correct is the tricky part.

:peace_symbol: Merged 12 hours ago :tada:

just got the time to test your package, it seems that there is a dependency that is missing.

(it did however build in xbps-src), but it gets errors when trying to run the “default.lnk” if “imlib2” is not present :wink:

and thanks! :slight_smile:

(Timothy L Miller) #271

My main frustration was the Plasma 5 build. Plasma & Trinity are the only desktops I like to use. So I won’t use something that doesn’t have AT LEAST 1 of them available. Obviously very few OS’s have Trinity since it’s such a small project based on such an old technology, so Plasma for me is usually necessary. And due to the way the Plasma package is built, a lot of things simply don’t work correctly because the default dependencies on systemd functions aren’t fixed. It’s certainly possible to fix (see alien bobs plasma builds for Slackware), but they just aren’t. In the end, there were just too many little things that got annoying with having to work around in Plasma because it was trying to call systemd for everything that I gave up and went back to Debian and Arch as my OS’s of choice.

I will say there was a lot I liked about Void, but not enough to overcome my distaste of having to run a desktop other than Plasma to get a smooth running OS.

@Shampoo imlib2 is a runtime dependency of idesk , so… what are you complaining about?

See the build log for x86_64 and x86_64-musl for instance.

Moreover, if I do:

$ sudo xbps-remove imlib2
imlib2-1.5.1_1 (remove) breaks installed pkg `fluxbox-1.3.7_2'
imlib2-1.5.1_1 (remove) breaks installed pkg `giblib-1.2.4_7'
imlib2-1.5.1_1 (remove) breaks installed pkg `idesk-0.7.5_1'
imlib2-1.5.1_1 (remove) breaks installed pkg `scrot-0.8_6'
imlib2-1.5.1_1 (remove) breaks installed pkg `tint2-16.2_1'
Transaction aborted due to unresolved dependencies.

I have nothing more to say… :neutral_face:

(Gus Fun) #273

When I install void in a usb disk and ask it to install grub on that disk

grub-install /dev/sdb

it installs just fine but messes up the /dev/sda mbr. It doesn’t really install there, it just messes up the one that is there. So I have to go back to that other installation and tell it to

grub-install /dev/sda

Pain in the neck!

yeah, i noticed this afterwords… im not shure of why it wasn’t installed the first time i installed idesk… sorry for hasing you invain. :confused: