Your FTWs (for the wins) and delights in void

True, I was trying to make one, but failed, because it required glibc. You can check it here. Also, CUPS explicitly looks for /USR/local/share, which is forbidden for packages anyway.

Ok, that’s very interesting, becausethere is at least one other person that is affected by it in this issue. You can see a more detailed output here.

Edit: am I the only one whose Android keyboard covers the entirety of the text field on this forum?

If you mean the input text then no it gets moved above the keyboard normally. But all the other repleis are behind it.

Curios, it also segfaults for me.

Strange.

Maybe try another browser. Every Browser I ever had on that Phone did work for me. (Currently Fennec)

Well, that was easy.
Thanks!

Sorry guys but it seems that the discussion goes off-topic. Please remember the reason of this topic. Thanks.

(notpod) #28

I could ramble but most of the above. Big thanks to those who make it happen!

Curious, indeed. :neutral_face:

(Steve) #30
  • No systemd

• lightweight and robust

• libressl by default

• BSD/Unix-like

• xbps-src

• runit, much easier to create and modify startup and maintenance scripts than other offerings, makes logical sense

• Community

Not in a particular order.

(Daniel Lewan) #31

I love how packaging works in Void. There is straightforward procedure to add package to repo.

Like: there is program X I want to use. It’s not in repo.

On Arch my best bet is to submit PKGBUILD into AUR. It will eventually be added to community repo… or not.

Debian based distros… I wouldn’t even know where to start.

In Void it’s really simple. Read manual, create package, send a PR, maintain it.

It’s the same in Void, your package will eventually be added to the repo… or not. :wink:

(Daniel Lewan) #33

If I recall correctly in Arch package has to be adopted by “trusted user”
to be added to repo right? It’s quite arbitrary since I saw a lot of good
packages staying in AUR for years.

In Void, if package meet requirements and quality standarts it probably will be merged (at least that’s my experience).

Cr6 was probably referring to the long review time that is there ATM :smile:

Who wonders since Juan dissapeared? I think the devs & packagers are really fast even of having this kind of trouble. Respect. :smile:

(Jeffrey) #36

lots of dvorak keymaps!

$ ls /usr/share/kbd/keymaps/i386/dvorak/               
ANSI-dvorak.map.gz   dvorak-l.map.gz           dvorak-sv-a1.map.gz        
dvorak-ca-fr.map.gz  dvorak.map.gz             dvorak-sv-a5.map.gz
dvorak-es.map.gz     dvorak-programmer.map.gz  dvorak-uk.map.gz
dvorak-fr.map.gz     dvorak-r.map.gz           no-dvorak.map.gz
dvorak-la.map.gz     dvorak-ru.map.gz

Particularly happy that programmer’s dvorak and single handed dvorak are included.

(Jordan) #37

From a comment I posted on reddit:

+1 for Void.

Coming from Gentoo, Void is pretty nice! I’ve had to do all sorts of manual intervention on Gentoo (musl) whereas with void everything just seems to work.

I don’t know why ebuilds tend to fail on Gentoo a lot more than xbps-src but it was a deciding factor for me; I shouldn’t have to bootstrap ghc, scratch my head at why lxd isn’t working, manually patch loads of stuff for musl/libressl (my overlay stands at about 300 commits) and then actually be able to use my laptop for work.

The downside to Void is that there’s less “automated” customisation as per useflags, but I have a very small install (Cherry-picked from base-voidstrap instead of base-system), running a very stripped kernel as I did in Gentoo with no modules, and a custom initramfs for a LUKS detached header on USB instead of dracut which would require lots of manual patching to achieve the same thing.

Gentoo is awesome, and it’s my first distro of choice - if I had the time! In my eyes, it’s the one of the last distros along with Slack and a few others that say “This is Linux, you can run it how you want”, as opposed to Fedora, Ubuntu, SUSE, Arch and to some extent Debian that effectively say “This is our version of Linux, you can run it, but we’re going to fuck you anally with systemd, the poetteringware & freedesktop cabal, and you can’t change it”.

Void is a good middle ground in this sense, that you don’t have the amount of customisation on Gentoo but you can change things to your liking per-package through xbps-src (I’m currently figuring out how to do this and keep packages updated, like integrating my kernel config to be automatically updated rather than doing it manually). From what I’ve looked at, xbps-src is awesome and beautifuly simple to understand compared to ebuilds - e.g.

Void: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/voidlinux/void-packages/b1d989b2edafbeff1c2b9d74fed49e17f9722139/srcpkgs/firefox/template

Gentoo: https://data.gpo.zugaina.org/mozilla/www-client/firefox/firefox-60.0.1.ebuild

I’m not hammering the most glorious of distros (In my honest opinion) but at the end of the day, it’s a trade-off between customisability or convenience.

Another few other examples: I had to wait ~2 weeks to use the latest firefox on musl because rust/cargo weren’t compiling. Alpine/void? Sorted within a couple of days! I ended up ditching my install because I had lots of relocation/relro/WX/symbol unknown errors on programs I’d already compiled, and subsequently recompiling the whole system (amongst other things) did nothing, and after days of scouring for information on the issue, I gave up. Here be dragons!

Normal Gentoo (glibc) is a cakewalk though - I haven’t really experienced many problems and Gentoo stable is pretty up to date, while still solid as a rock.

Void musl is the smoothest experience of musl-libc I’ve used on a distro and it doesn’t require me to scour for different people’s overlays because some ebuilds are being picky!

Whilst I do like the decentralised nature of Gentoo where everyone does their thing, in niche cases like musl it really bites you in the arse because you have to find/patch things that don’t work in the portage tree whereas they’re already standardised on other musl distros like alpine/void. C’est la vie!

If I had to describe Void, it would be the love-child of Gentoo and Arch, with Slackware as a mentor :wink:

@_jj Very nice description!

So be welcome in our family my friend. :slight_smile:

Just deleted my previous post because I only saw

on my mobile phone. Now if I see the whole post I can’t agree with all of the mentioned points too. But anyway …I still wouldn’t call it nonsense completely. It’s his experience and opinion, so there is nothing wrong about. But please argue if I am wrong…