Your FTWs (for the wins) and delights in void

This post is meant to be the opposite of Your WTFs and frustrations in Void because I think that everyone here the developers, packager and community do a great job to let this distro be as it is: Awesome! :slight_smile:

So why not talk about the good things too?

I will start:

• No systemd
  • Very small, stripped down and responsive distro
  • May the “most BSD-like distro” I know so far
  • Very friendly and active community
  • Still not very popular (hey we are something special, right?! ;))
  • Rolling release

So what’s about you? Tell us about what you like from void compared to other distros… :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance… I love to be part of the void’s revolution! :stuck_out_tongue:

[Solved] Double trouble

To me its simple pkg management, like super easy. Thats it for me, because everything else is super hard to a typical browser user like i am.

(Erin) #3

Small friendly userbase and dev team who produce a light and fast distro. The biggest thing is it is stable despite being a rolling release.

(Christian Lund Hansen) #4
  • Being a newb, it’s really nice with the feedback in the irc <3
  • xbps seems fast and has all packages which I need
  • Didn’t take me long to be up and running with void
  • The project is still small, so there is a lot of opportunity to help

No systemd, rolling release with full musl support. I would probably be running Alpine Linux (https://alpinelinux.org/) or even Adelie linux (https://adelielinux.org/) on my laptop if Void did not exist.

“BSD-like distro” with a non-bloated package manager in the form of xbps. Who needs a GUI pkg-manager? Not a fork of anything else.

Possible to do a base-install allowing you to install your preferred WM/DE without the need to purge a lot of crap first.

Last but, not the least, a friendly community.

(Edmond Dantes ) #6

Quite the niche project, kept up by a small team of serious developers who really care about quality, tidiness, stability and community’s feedback not left unheard

Friendly, welcoming, competent and proactive userbase, eager to help beginners (despite the distro being the quite ‘hard’ one) instead of scorning them as inferior beings and recommending them to switch back to ‘newbie distro’

Solid OS even being the bleeding-edge one, and rolling-release for those who like this updating method better. Bugs are reported and fixed in no time.

Direct relationship with devs, which on one hand helps clarifying many doubts around the distro itself and its small and big goals, on the other hand allows new users to port software to xbps on their own and submit it for approval.

No AUR, PPAs, WIP, and other nonsense stuff: all software in repos must have the same degree of stability, is well-tested and approved by dev team. AUR and similar allow ‘unofficial community-maintained software’ to make its way into the everyday desktop. This software has to meet far less strict requirements in order to be approved, and a part of it is just a mess of redundant unstable bloatware with heavy dependencies and security faults.

Very lightweight, due to the attention to cut dependencies down to the bare minimum and compile binaries without mostly unneeded and unused flags. A vanilla Linux kernel with a sane config as opposed to heavy-patched huge kernel used by many other distribution including Ubuntu, Fedora and, to an extent, Arch.

It’s one of the few distros packaging software on musl, which requires a lot of effort. The lightweightness of musl makes it perfect for embedded devices and smaller archs which Void shows a great attention for

xbps is an awesome package manager, my favourite: fast, really fast, serious, powerful, efficient and clean. a set of 8 utilities (+ xbps-src and xbps-uchroot) , which allow a fine system management

Easiness to fork the official repo, build your custom system through local repositories and throw yourself into development thanks to xbps-src and the github void-packages community.

A wiki which does exactly what it has to do: tell how to deal with Void; tell it quickly and tell it well. For everything else there’s better official documentation available on software main pages and on docs from tarballs or READMEs on github; any wiki which tries to achieve a holistic approach and to provide answers to everything related to free software, might be praiseworthy yes, yet just useless waste of manpower and quite pretentious to my eyes.

Very attractive (at least to me) default software choices: runit as init (and a s6 tested port available in repo), eudev, dracut, mandoc, zzz, wpa_supplicant. A sndio port under development.

Installer, for those preferring it over the manual boostrapping installation, doesn’t force choices: the partitions you like arranged the way you like, the bootloader you like installed on the partition of choice

A database of man pages which do not actually suck, and are rather quite good

Well, guess it’s all of it

PS: @shizonic regarding the “most BSD -like distro” thing, it’s true on one hand that Void has, under various aspects, a BSD-like approach, on the other hand, from my point of view CRUX above all, and secondary Slackware and Lunar, feel more BSD-like than Void. On the other hand Linux is Linux, kernel and software are always the same, what changes between distros are mostly the packaging system, the updating system and the default software choices. Linux is not like any the BSDs, like BSDs aren’t like Linux and not much alike one another either, and all of them are kind of different from Illumos. Different OSs stay different and that’s more of a pro to me, as you can get the best of each.
As both a Linux and BSD user, when I come to Linux it’s because I just want Linux, a good distro nothing more, nothing less

(Nonico) #7
  1. No systemd
  2. The installer. I don’t personally know of a faster rolling-release installer.
  3. xbps is incredibly simple but does what it does so very well.
  4. It’s stable and just works.
  5. Runit. I love this init…though I’m still learning it. Note to self: enable services. :slight_smile:
  6. 32 bit support is still maintained in a no-systemd distro that quickly installs a stable rolling release that just works with a great init even though I still forget to enable services at times. :stuck_out_tongue:
  7. It’s just stinkin fun to use! :smiley:

@Montecristo I didn’t know about s6 in Void. That’s something I’m very interested in and will explore later. Thank you for mentioning it.

This, for sure.

And most of what else is posted here. Also like that I can use the mk-live script to roll my own setup.

Totally. I have machines that can’t run Void but can run Adélie.

The world is not built entirely on x86. Plus, as stated above, one of our tenets is bringing new life to machines that are not the latest and greatest. Most of these systems are still entirely useable under Linux; the only thing preventing them from running modern software is the lack of anyone stepping up and packaging for them. In addition, there are new PowerPC and ARM systems launching regularly.

I found their latest blog post very encouraging. So anyway here’s hoping Void sees the light. It’s one of the few distros with automated building so what’s one more arch but some build flags.

• LibreSSL
  • the installer
  • void-packages, once you get past the intial hurdle of figuring out the git{,hub} workflow for contributing
  • musl

(Adhi Pambudi) #11

Great explanation MPN!
Even I can’t understand a lot because I’m not a power user :joy:

Ok my turn, I’m not an IT guy. So, my reply just simple minded.

1. Very fast, my laptop feels like flying!

2. Polybar available in the repo

3. I don’t know why people hate SystemD, but it’s evil I guess. So I love Void with non-SystemD

4. There is xorg-minimal meta package

5. Kind people in the forum & IRC

6. Still caring 32bit architecture which is abandoned by other distros :sob:

7. Clock setting is in /etc and can sync properly with BIOS clock, only need to change a line of option. On Arch I need several hours to figure out how to set the clock

8. More Arch than Arch :joy:

Take cover
Run

Guys would like to thank you for all the replies! :slight_smile: Nice to see why other people love void.

(Solitude) #13

package splitting and xbps-src

(Reza Maulana) #14

Why I’m using void:

1. Because I am lazy person. :sleepy:
  2. Void has smartest package manager when it comes to minimize pulling out dependencies.
  3. Problems that I found in many systemd distros have magically dissapear in void. :thinking: (like in one occassion my laptop suddenly froze out of nowhere, which is not happening in Void).
  4. Really good hardware support, at least for my needs (installed Void on Lenovo ideapad 120S-14IAP, which is a pretty new product).
  5. There is no user-installed service being enabled unless I specifically told Void so.
  6. Feels like a golden child coming from both Slackware (stability) and Arch Linux (rolling release).
  7. Maintaining Void is dead simple, you can lazily not reading any announcement in official forum and still getting a perfectly updated system without any warning showed up. It’s just xbps-install -Syuv, hands off! You’ll be done in any moment! :sunglasses:

So, if you ever found yourself being too lazy to deal with nuisances that other distros (systemd or not) have, just remember that you’ll always find your place in here, Void Linux Community.

(Dario Niedermann) #15

Nvi as a default editor! My all-time favourite, wisely compiled with UTF-8 support. I couldn’t have done it better myself. :gem:

After the Maintainer seriously lost, the updates little bit late come.
This annoyed me so much, what will happen to Void?
I never forget and never want to miss.

I want to stress out the stability too. I run void on a remote machine that is used as Media Server and on my main laptop. One is updated every couple of months and another is updated daily.

I have yet to have a single serious problem with any of them which is unbelievable to me as a as I’m used to fixing dependencies in Gentoo or simply strange problems in Arch.

Also, MUSL! I don’t really see any tangible difference, but it feels really great to be able to use what I perceive as a better implementation. Even if not everything is compiled with it in mind.

Xbps-src is also great. I can push something useful to the main repos or even help with updates if necessary and it’s relatively easy to do for the most part.

And, runit, but that’s self evident.

“compiled with it in mind” ? :face_with_raised_eyebrow: could you explain what you mean ?

Some software is compiled against glibc only. For example, mccgdi(Panasonic printer drivers), some doesn’t work, such as gog.com install scripts(mojo install fails), or works so bad it practically doesn’t, such as mypaint (segfaults the moment pointer get inside the window).

But these are the absolute minority. Though it doesn’t help that some software run from glibc chroot crashes with some memory error (chromium and Firefox for example).

No such package in repository.

No, no segfault for me on x86_64-musl.