Home | News | Download | Packages | Forum | Wiki | Github

Xorg fails to run: stuck on blank text-mode screen

I am running void in qemu. Works fine until startx. xorg blanks the screen, puts an underline cursor in the upper left corner of the screen, then does nothing. Typing is not responded to. Had to kill the virtual machine.

Repeat. Same, every time.

startx with redirection of stdout and stderr to file reveals zero error messages.

user is in video and audio groups.

I am perplexed. Does anyone have any advice? Thank you.

p.s. xorg runs in other distros within qemu.

(Masato the Empty) #2

Text mode screen (notable for the underscore…) means Xorg has crashed, or the system has frozen without being able to start Xorg.

Note - you won’t get much useful info from stdout/stderr with Xorg. The juicy stuff gets logged - /var/log/Xorg.0.log usually. If it’s just your input that’s getting locked then there’s a good chance you’ll get a lot of info there, as opposed to if this is a hard lockup on the VM.

If you’ve got 2-way network connectivity between the host and guest (such as the VM uses a vnet device on a host bridge) then check to see if you have connectivity to the VM after the crash (assuming you have it before). If connectivity is lost, then it’s likely a hard lockup. If you still have connectivity then there’s a good chance that some good stuff got logged by Xorg…

Lastly, check out issue 6091 on void-packages. The symptoms match (Xorg crash, input is lost) and it’s worth checking, if only to rule it out.

Not sure about the networking aspect. I understand that containers have “bridging” and that was always perplexed me, hence the use of qemu. VM’s are easier.

Anyway, that link you posted recommended installing libEGL, and that worked.

Thank you very much. :slight_smile:

(Masato the Empty) #4

Not too familiar with containers myself, at least not about their implementation. Bridging there may be a similar thing, or it may not be (if a container has its own virtual NIC then it sounds similar).

Having your VMs using tap devices on a virtual bridge interface really gives you some nice capabilities (all my VMs have real presences on my network when they’re running, since they’re on a virtual bridge that also includes my real NIC). Something worth looking at down the road if you’re not able to get into it now.