XBPS on pkgsrc

(Edmond Dantes ) #1

I just discovered xbps is available and up to date on pkgsrc/wip, making it very easy to boostrap a Void base inside a chroot-env, jail, container, zone or what else, from whatever distro outside Void or system capable of Linux compatibility, especially for (only for?) those who use pkgsrc already; it also allows keeping xbps up to date without having to track new commits and manually take care of upgrading. The package only pulls libarchive because a c99 compiler, zlib and a ssl-tls/crypto stack are already dependencies of a pkgsrc bootstrap.

Tested on Illumos and worked perfectly, now have a Void LX-branded zone :wink:

Your semi-frequent illumos mentions have piqued my interest. I think i’ll be firing up a qemu OmniOS instance this weekend.

(Edmond Dantes ) #3

Off-Topic comment, not relevant to thread, mods feel free to remove

On server/workstation it carries some great pros (especially NAS and Web Server):

• ZFS native support with beadm/boot-envs and TimeSlider

• NFS native integration with lots of useful utilities

• Zones (IP and LX -branded ones)

• SMF

• CrossBow Network Stack (Virtual NIC for any proto, Bandwith management, IP Zones)

• Linux’ KVM, FreeBSD’s bhyve and Wine or virtualization, which also still explains the very existence of SmartOS

• DTrace

• IPS (Solaris Image Package System, very featured, providing integration with zone and automatically handling boot environments creation/backup/switching)

• SunSSH

• IPFilter

• pfexec+RBAC (Role Based Access Control), providing a secure and hardened sysyem by default. Add to this the prompt security patches

• GCC + SunStudio as compilers

• FreeBSD bootloader

• Solaris kernel/userland tracing it’s root back in SysVR4 UNIX, and full POSIX-compliant

• stability

• code is written respecting the clean cstyle

This is more or less why I use it on file server (currently XStreamOS, previously OmniOSce). There are also other network/cloud proprietary appliances like the paid NexentaStor and Delphix

On desktop, outside few and limited perks (Nvidia binaries, SunAudio sound server, great battery life with Sun Power service) it’s definitely not worth the trouble. Laptop hardware support sucks, more than any BSD, although I was very lucky: at my first try, I found out my 2010 Samsung laptop just happened to be 100% supported; software support is disappointing, and what’s available is largely outdated, although with pkgsrc and opencsw IPS community repo you can still build up a pretty decent and complete desktop for everyday usage (naturally, no proprietary stuff). Coming from Void, another con is that Solaris is very different from Linux, IMHO much more than how BSDs and macOS are; learning curve is quite steep chances are high it will feel hostile at first glance.

Me using it on desktop (OI-Hipster on laptop, Tribblix on legacy Pentium4 PC desktop) is largely due to an OpenSolaris nostalgia and die-hard fandom. OpenSolaris in 2008 represented my first experience with Unix-like systems, and I immediately became fond of it. At the time we could say Solaris was, without looking too far, the most advanced OS available, hardware support was comparable to Linux and a lot of software was available on it (even games); many FOSS developers would also make sure their software would compile on SunStudio. 10,5 years later, not much has changed and no killer feature innovation (like in former Sun’s style) has been introduced: hardware support didn’t get major improvements outside some Intel and wifi NIC drivers, software availability dropped dramatically. Oracle killed a project which yes, already suffered from Sun’s money debts and popularity drop, but would have most likely represented Sun’s occasion to regain a central role in software engineering, drawing devs’ attention. Similarly Oracle killed SXCE, OpenOffice, DTrace, NFS, SPARC and all the other Sun good attempts at moving towards FOSS. It’s my opinion Oracle destroyed Java and MySQL too.
When Oracle acquired Solaris in late 2010, many hystorical core developers left and moved to Linux, some founded Illumos, Solaris’ destiny, under the uncooperative, dictating, closed-minded, and no-risk-taking Oracle’s wing, was already written. In late 2017 when Solaris 12, bringing a lot of innovative features, was about to come out, Oracle suddenly deletes the release schedule, lays off 90% of Solaris and SPARC staff, factually marking the end of 35 years old project; then tells the few devs left to backport what of stable could be taken from Solaris12 to a LTS 11.4 release (likely the last one), committed in 2018 and officially “supported” until 2032.

Illumos is still a great system, but it’s a ghost. Even though it still maintains its niche of users and developers, it’s dead already. Current development is mostly focused on security patches, OpenZFS, packages maintainance, few drivers

(Edmond Dantes ) #4

Was curious to see if any other OSS project would provide XBPS inside their repositories, so just went checking out nd what I’ve found is:

• an AUR tarball (the description is fantastic :rofl: …Don’t use it instead of Arch’s ‘pacman’)

• a RPM package