What WM are you using?

bspwm.

I urge for the day an openbox alternative without xml appears in the wild.

(Steve R) #62

Looks like tiling wm’s dominate. I would have a hard time switching from xmonad. I installed it when I got interested in trying to learn a little Haskell. I’m an amateurish Haskell programmer, but I still managed to cobble together a good config. I might try i3 for a while to see why it leads in popularity.

Who wonders? :wink: Tiling wms are the most productive ones. :slight_smile:

That would be fluxbox would it not? Plain text configuration files.

(Edmond Dantes ) #65

After ~6 months with OpenBox I switched back to CWM and FVWM2, and on any platform, with a bit of IceWM on rpi3; OpenBox is very powerful, featured, prone to be heavily customized, but I prefer simpler and more classic stuff that I’m already comfortable with. On Openbox I found myself wasting more time in customizing some aspect of my desktop, terminal, panel or editor than in actually doing the work in view of which I had switched the computer on in the first place, and this is something unaffordable in times when hard work and deep focus is required :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Just use scripts combined with wmutils and hooked to sxhkd to move, show, hide and close windows.

what’s wrong with xml ? :neutral_face:

(Alex Filonenko) #68

Same. Also, configuring it is more flexible (any executable script will do). I even thought about writing a bspwm configuration framework :smile:

(Travis Sturzl) #69

I used to use openbox a lot when I was a teenager, and eventually wrote out python scripts and bound keys to them that gave me tiling features. Eventually I used basically only tiling, and now mainly use i3. If I had to go back to a classic WM it would definitely be openbox.

(Jordan) #70

xmonad here, it seems so much saner than i3 (fixed workspaces freaking suck in my opinion, especially on multi-monitor setups). Hating this convention leaves me with just a few options: herbstluftwm, xmonad, spectrwm and wingo (Judging from the !aw).

A step down, in my opinion, is the “n regions, n workspaces fixed to each region” approach that some wms like dwm, bspwm have. It’s usuable, but still seems like a pain.

But n fixed workspaces split between multiple monitors? What the hell are you thinking i3 devs? (I may be in a vocal minority here ;P)

The only feature I miss is stacked windows but afaik there’s probably a way to do that in xmonad too. It’s infinitely configurable but has very sane defaults, which is nice either way.

I’ve been using a very slim config that I haven’t had to change in 6months plus because everything just works (minus a few niggles)… Although I’m keeping an eye on waymonad (https://github.com/waymonad) which seems to be coming along nicely!

(maxice8 alter) #71

There is stacking but just like in i3 it just sucks, also xmonad defaults suck.

(Jordan) #72

@north1 They suck? I like them! (https://bpaste.net/show/d393cbf1c576) :stuck_out_tongue:

At any rate, I’m actually using spectrwm at the moment since xmonad isn’t packaged on void at the moment, since stack doesn’t have a --prefix option for installing. It’s easy enough though with cabal.

I second that! For 7 years xmonad’s defaults have been the saving tiling grace. Still are — in spectrwm’s clothing.

I like icewm!
It’s light, very fast, stabil, simple, flexible, with a classical ms-windows-look.
It takes a little time to configure it, but it is worth the effort.
In my opinion, it’s the perfect WM for void!

(Edmond Dantes ) #75

@alamannia finally someone who mentions a serious WM after quite some time :kissing_heart:

Anyone uses the alpha release of sway and wlroots?

May I see your templates?

(Jordan) #77

I was going to maybe write up a template of wlroots for waymonad at some point - it shouldn’t be hard to make a sway one either

Currently using bspwm, though I think I am looking to move to dwm for a bit.

How are people liking spectrwm? That’s right behind dwm on my list of things to try.

(Jordan) #79

@qspec, spectrwm is great in the OpenBSD fashion - it’s been hacked up out of necessity :wink:

It’s very similar to dwm/xmonad; the only trouble I’ve heard is getting external bars to work (e.g. polybar). I’m not sure if this is still the case though.

I really enjoy using 2bwm mostly due to its workflow. The lack of EWMH kills it for me though since anything other than basic integration goes out the window.