What WM are you using?

I moved from XFCE to XMonad because I knew how to write haskell, and haskell is a cool language to configure something with.

However, XMonad has annoying bugs with regard to floating windows, and it doesn’t render unicode characters properly in title bars.

I want to move to another window manager, but I am overwhelmed by the number of windows managers.

(Jean-Raymond) #42

Yabar looks nice! I’ll give it a try. I also use Polybar, mostly because it was so easy to setup.

CWM on the desktop, SpectrWM on the chromebook. I’ll eventually get around to trying Stump and HerbstLuft.

yabar looks really nice! any xbps template file around here ? :slight_smile:

Poll closed. Thanks for voting, it was interesting to see what you guys/gals were/are using and why.
I’m staying on awesome, though :wink:

In what mode do you use conky? For some reason regular in floating mode loads one core for 100%. so I’m forced to use it as dock.

(Ioan) #47
own_window = true,
own_window_type = 'panel',
own_window_transparent = 'false',
own_window_type = 'desktop',
own_window_hints = 'undecorated,below,sticky,skip_taskbar,skip_pager',
own_window_argb_visual = true,
own_window_argb_value = 0,
own_window_colour = '#000000',
draw_outline = true,
draw_borders = true,
draw_graph_borders = true,

That explains it, thanks. I’m using it as a floating window.

Just found this, https://www.gilesorr.com/wm/table.html

Only just signed up to the forum,so didn’t get to vote, but I use Fluxbox regularly, been using it for some years now.

When it isn’t the distros choice, I use Openbox if it is installed already, else I’ll install my favourite. :slight_smile:

@Montecristo see my PR #13511 for pypanel :bat:

(Reza Maulana) #52

xfwm pleb here :grin:

I eventually replaced xmonad and xmobar with i3 and polybar.
i3 and polybar are the best setup I’ve found so far.
I might replace polybar with i3bar and i3blocks in the future if polybar turns out to be buggy.

(Samuel A. Falvo II) #54

I am presently using icewm and ROX-Filer for my desktop pseudo-environment. However, this was a “get it working now so I can earn money today” kind of decision. I have future ambitions to explore alternatives; i3 currently catches my fancy. I have previous experience with ion and xmonad, so i3 is right up my alley.

I migrated from xmonad to i3, and i3 is a lot more polished than xmonad.

If you want something that works, choose i3 and i3bar.
polybar is more buggy than i3bar.

(Adhi Pambudi) #56

Sorry for the stupid question. But How to vote? I clicked Openbox but there was no reaction :disappointed_relieved:

That’s because I’ve closed the poll.
Sorry…

(Kartik) #58

You closed the poll because it had 69 votes, didn’t you?

:rofl: Honestly, no!
Tell you what! It’s open again…

Just switched to wmfs² and do really love it. :slight_smile:

EDIT:
But I do not restrict myself, that’s why I have configurations for dozens of different wms and like to change