Home | News | Download | Packages | Forum | Wiki | Github

Void on MIPS

(Xlaits Xavier) #1

So, after watching a particularly interesting video on PS2 Linux, I noticed that the EE Processor used in the PS2 is indeed MIPS. Since Void totes MIPS compatability, I wonder how feasable it would be to install Void on a PS2. I don’t have the technical know how, but I do have a PS2 and a Network Adapter, as well as a few spare discs… all I need is an IDE HDD and I could theoretically install Void.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

(Masato the Empty) #2

There’s a very recent thread regarding MIPS.

Linux supports MIPS, so as Obi-Wan said, it’s true from a certain point of view. (it’s actually more true than what Obi-Wan was saying…) I think some people are a bit bothered that Void doesn’t actually build MIPS binaries.

Void does have the toolchain for building to both MIPS types (using musl), so I guess it’s a matter of building the packages from xbps-src, then using void-mklive to build the root image.

Then you have to get the right way to bootstrap the on the PS2. (Sony apparently had an official kit for PS2 linux… actually unsure if anyone’s gotten their own Linux distro onto it; if it’s been done, there are probably articles out there)

Luke: Could you be a little more specific because… we kinda made out.
Obi-Wan: Ooh, sorry. Ahh… Yes, she’s totally your sister.
Yoda: Hmm. Sorry about that I am.

(Xlaits Xavier) #3

I do know it’s possible. Probably not probable, though.

I also did mention that there was a PS2 Linux. It booted from the DVD, then installed the kernel and boot files to a memory card, then threw everything else on the HDD attached to the Network Adapter.

There’s a GREAT video on YouTube about it, that i finished watching not 20 minutes ago. However, I’ll have to do some research to see if other people have done it, and how. After that, I might make a build log.

Because what kind of jackass mentions a video, then forgets to link to it, hm?

(Xlaits Xavier) #4

So I found THIS article on SourceForge. It’s detailed, and even includes pictures.

(Masato the Empty) #5

yeah, duh… first sentence “video on PS2 Linux…” That’s what I get for postint while having divided attention…

I was curious as to whether it’s only an official Sony build that’s known to work or if you can bootstrap any custom rootfs, but I should just watch the video now that you’ve linked it.

EDIT: aha, there’s your other link!

(Xlaits Xavier) #6

Hey, you’re only human.

Yeah. He’s a little long-winded, but he does a GREAT job at explaining everything.
And that SF article looks… dated, but I haven’t tried it. I don’t have a MCBoot MemCard, or even a HDD. I might have a spare HDD laying around, but without FMCB, I can’t boot the Linux loader.

(Michael Aldridge) #7

@xlaits keep in mind that while we do have cross profiles to target mips, we don’t actually operate builders with that target.

(Xlaits Xavier) #8

I understood NONE of that, but I get the vague gist.

Besides, it was only hypothetical ponderings of a madman, wondering if the impossible was only merely improbable in his sleep deprived state.

On that note, though, if it WAS possible, I could have some real fun with that…

(Michael Aldridge) #9

It probably IS possible, but I don’t think anyone’s build base-system for armv5 since I did 2 years ago. You’d basically have to build it all yourself locally since we don’t build the binaries on distro-managed hardware, i.e. there is no mirror from which you can download base-system.armv5.xbps.

(Xlaits Xavier) #10

Who said Arm v5? We’re talking MIPS.

(Michael Aldridge) #11

swap that out for mips, the same things apply.

(Xlaits Xavier) #12

Sort of a LFS/Roll your own thing, hm? I mean, if people have enough interest, I might try it once I have a working HDD for my PS2. I do want to try it, but I don’t want it to be a ‘for nothing’ venture if no one is interested.

(Michael Aldridge) #13

Not really a roll your own thing because we provide all the mechanisms to build it. We just don’t provide prebuilt packages for certain architectures. MIPS is one, armv5 is another. For a long time we didn’t build for aarch64. If there’s sufficient interest, we might build for MIPS, though this is highly unlikely.

(Xlaits Xavier) #14

Hey, you never know! At least I’m interested in MIPS and getting Void possibly working on a PS2.

If you do… May I ask you to document the process and work with the Void team regarding any issues? I am also interested in Void’s MIPS port.

And if it may help you:

Void has the tools and build chain to create MIPS packages (software), which means that doing so is not as manual as it would be with LFS, which does not provide any automation. However, it does not provide installable media. If you know Gentoo… Well, it is the same thing. In order to get MIPS working you would have to start building the base system (for MIPS) in your computer using xbps-src and then create an installable media (an .iso or a .img) using void-mklive. You cannot simple go with a premade .iso and start usin xbps-install like any other distro. This process is know as a source-base distro much like Gentoo, SourceMage, LFS, etc.

(Xlaits Xavier) #16

I plan on documenting every last step with as much detail as I can give.

Right now, I have in transit an IDE to sata device to use with my PS2, and I have a 160 GB 2.5"drive to use inside it.

(Michael Aldridge) #17

I am bringing up Void on armv5tel hardware, there may be a blog post about it down the road.

(Xlaits Xavier) #18

Sorry for the lack of updates. The board came in, but I’m unable to use it. It’s form factor is incredibly stupid, so I’ll need some additional cabling, which I have not yet ordered. I will report in once the cables are ordered, and once more when the cables arrive.

I’m hoping the board even works…

(Michael Aldridge) #19

I probably should have updated this a month ago. I had the armv5 hardware working fine for a while but it wasn’t merged yet. I will probably write up steps for that soon-ish. In the mean time, here’s the notes from bringing up the arch: https://michaelwashere.net/void/bootstrap/linux/2017/10/04/new-platform-for-void.html