Home | News | Download | Packages | Forum | Wiki | Github

Void not building VirtualBox/DKMS modules

When installing VirtualBox it gives me this:

[*] Configuring unpacked packages
virtualbox-ose-dkms-5.1.28_1: configuring …
DKMS module ‘virtualbox-ose-5.1.28’ already added, skipping.
Building DKMS module ‘virtualbox-ose-5.1.28’ for kernel-4.14.4_1… FAILED!
DKMS module ‘virtualbox-ose-5.1.28’ failed to build, please check /var/lib/dkms
for errors in the log file.

The log files:

LD [M] /var/lib/dkms/virtualbox-ose/5.1.28/build/vboxdrv/vboxdrv.o
make: *** [Makefile:1503: module/var/lib/dkms/virtualbox-ose/5.1.28/build] Error 2
make: Leaving directory ‘/usr/src/kernel-headers-4.14.4_1’

Any ideas?

Duplicate of

And there is a PR that tries to fix this:

Oh, sorry.

So the solution for now is using kernel 4.13? There is a timeline for when VirtualBox >=5.2? will be pulled?

Kernel 4.13 is marked EOL and won’t get any further updates, see https://www.kernel.org/. The latest LTS kernel is 4.9. I don’t know if the fix will be also applied to 5.1 upstream. I guess 5.2 will be available in Void when someone is willing to do so :wink: Having a glance at the template there might be a bit more work involved than just increasing the version number.

Let’s hope it doesn’t take time. VirtualBox is pretty important.

My work is only Windows, i’m the only one using Linux there and nobody knows. I still need Windows there to use some applications. For now i’m dual booting, but it’s a pain.

(David) #6

It is working now after the update. Many thanks to everyone involved :kissing_heart:

Nice! Thanks everybody!

EDIT: Just guest addictions is not working.

(David) #8

Partly related, the 5.2.2 update apparently requires uninstalling any old kernel lying around and then a system reboot, otherwise it fails with a -1912 when you try to start the VM. Nothing else worked for me.

I really can’t wait to end moving the contents of my VM to Void to get rid of this piece of [censored].