Void is becoming a favorite OS of mine with increasing velocity

(dommer) #1

Through the years I honestly have not been able to say that I have felt the same sense of freedom in my OS as I have with void. A linux OS from BSD developers with an arch-like package manager that hates SystemD with the ability to make any app a service from init. Excuse me? If I was told about this on the release date of the OS I would have thrown ubuntu out the window.

For years I have hopped around trying things out and testing different systems. I like arch, but it breaks. I like ubuntu, but the packages are all outdated. I like OpenSuse, but hate the package manager.

Here in void I might not have all my games running (TF2), but I have everything else set to exactly how I want it and I’m not scared of everything having a catastrophic failure. I just put the lego’s together and… tada!

I do hope the project moves out of GitHub and on to bitbucket or something so that it may continue. If theres a monetary contribution I can make to somewhere like a patreon I will be glad to contribute.

Thank you for giving me software freedom, Void Devs.

(Erin) #2

Many of us enjoy the je ne c’est quoi that Void seems to offer.

As an aside, the devs have explained what is happening re Void’s leadership, Github etc. Void has a future and is moving forwards despite the slight blip. Keep your eyes open for the financial contribution option and the devs appreciate the thanks.

je ne sais quoi :wink:

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/je_ne_sais_quoi

(Erin) #4

Merci pour le lecon @cr6. :laughing:

(dommer) #5

If I were christian I’d say they were doing gods work.

The decision to not use systemd has nothing to do with hate.
Hate makes decision making irrational and biased.
All the users that start to use voidlinux because of their hatred against systemd are a good example for this.
They don’t look into runit because “its not systemd” and then get disappointed if something they expect is not supported.

(dommer) #7

Well I don’t mean out of hate because its different, I mean that it does more than it needs to. I want init to purely be startup, not a VM handler, not a container handler, I want it to be init and ONLY init. I like runit for that, as well as being able to throw tixati in there as a system service, or literally anything as a system service. It makes a lot of the stuff I do terminal wise a lot easier (except tixati of course, haha). If I make a script to handle system fans SD makes it a pain in my ass to roll that as a system, at least in comparison.

I have a lot more I want to do and more to learn about runit, but just the symlinking makes life easier already.

Did you get that fixed? I have not had any trouble with running tf2 on voidlinux.
Mabye you are missing some of the required dependencies? I have also ran into a configuration issue in the past iirc but it was an easy fix.

Ditto.
I started out, as many many others, to find a distribution alternative free of the systemd software, and tried Void among others.
When I learned how slim the base system of Void Linux is, how easily configurable and hack-friendly everything is, how simple yet powerful runit is, this distribution is my #1 choise. For everything. Xbps is also the finest package manager I’ve used. Elegant, if I may. I might need a second monocle.
Granted the recent turn of events, and the developers are continuing in the same direction (it seems) and their passion for this operating system, and the community itself, makes it an even better experience.

I want to give everyone a sincere Thank you for making a great, free (beer and freedom) operating system.

(dommer) #10

Well it was a matter of starting the game and it deciding to just not run? So I would appreciate a PM on how to fix these issues.

(Ian Campbell) #11

Void is great. I’m sure we’re all here b/c we’re serious ‘distro-hoppers’. This is the first place that has felt like home. A great balance between Quality, Basic Unix Principles, Simplicity, and Power!

The only thing so far that I don’t like is typing xbps-* a million times.
I’ve got apt-get burned into my muscle memory. Maybe we can consider a shorter alias by default?

(Benjamín Albiñana) #12

Personally, I sometimes find me typing xpbs-cache search something, so I’ve made a function who calls xbps-query.

(Ian Campbell) #13

Beautiful! I’ve never heard of tuxc before, but you’re right. Its exactly what I’m looking for.

Hilarious that we have this abstraction layer to maintain ease of use between distros while still allowing for people to use whatever PM they want.

Also hilarious that Ruby is interpreted, so it would be code interpreted for your OS which is then interpreting commands for your installed PM. Like a freaking rabbit hole…

I don’t see what the problem is ?

What’s different between:

apt-get install | xbps-install

apt-cache search | xbps-query

:neutral_face: ?

It’s actually fewer keys :wink:

(Jacob Moen) #16

Well, apt-get is on and above the home row. xbps- is on and below. I personally find it slightly more “cumbersome” to type below the home row, but that is a truly minor gripe.
Especially since it is so painless to create your own aliases! :wink:

(Benjamín Albiñana) #17

In my case, the problem is between chair and keyboard. After many years with debian (my first debian was a Bo, in the past century :wink:), my fingers are used to type apt-cache search , when I began to use Void, I found me several times like this:

benalb@t410 ~
xbps-cache search awesome_package_i_want_right_now
-bash: xbps-cache: no se encontró la orden

The fourth time it happened, I made a function in my bashrc and said, “take that, brain”.

So, I like xbps very much, but still it is hard to remove old ways.

But, I guess in the future, will have to make a function in my debian systems, when I begun to type something like “xbps-install something”. :grin:

(Erin) #18

xbps-remove -R Debian-Memories Debian && xbps-install Voidisms
or
apt purge Debian-Memories Debian && apt install Voidisms
if you prefer.