Home | News | Download | Packages | Forum | Wiki | Github

Updater for none tech user

While the wife is much more comfortable using Linux than some other OS, her attitude towards the command prompt is basically I’m using the computer, why do I have to learn how to program it - what is all that gobeldy gook mutter mutter etc!

What would be ideal for her machines would be some DE agnostic widget that would update the local package info every few days, warn if there were updates and go off and do them once given the okay.

While I could show her octoxbps, it asks for passwords every time you have the timerity to click anything (it should really just get root once at start…) which is off putting for a none techie and it won’t automagically check - and you know what none techie users are like for “forgetting” to check for updates…

I’m well aware that I could hack something together with zenity and cron and I even know how to run xbps (thanks) but I don’t want to waste time replicating what someone else might have done…

Sorry guess we both slightly misinterpreted each others posts - I took from yours that you hadn’t bothered reading it properly… but then without the emotional context (like sms) you can often get the wrong end of the stick on forums…

(Benjamin) #6

Make a .desktop icon for octoxbps, the command to put in thier is gksu octoxbps using that, if you have gnome-keyring installed and depending on how you have it setup (with or without a login keyring) It’ll ethier ask the password of the default keyring so gksu can get the root password, or that keyring will be auto-unlocked and wouldn’t ask for a password.

hmm having sudo keep auth for 5mins or so is one thing but I’ve never been keen on keyrings… and if you try running octoxbps with gksu / gksudo / from a root terminal - it just tells you, “you can not run octoxbps with adminstrator’s credentials”

(Benjamin) #8

I forgot about that. What will work is to setup gnome-keyring, then when you do a task with octoxbps that needs root access, you can just click “save password for later” and gksu/gksudo will save the root password to the keyring.

with this

xbps-install -Snu | wc -l

you get 0-n the number of update that need to be done

I could do this on every login, BUT should the -S only be done say once every 24hrs to avoid too much server traffic, or is that not an issue?

(Benjamin) #10

I’d imagine its not an issue, mine syncs every 5 mins. on a cron

But the bandwidth! the horror! think of the children! and the carbon! :o)

(Benjamin) #12

I think it as a uptime pinger, that helps me keep my system up to date. But seriously cron should work just fine for a 24 hour database updater.

(Jakub Skrzypnik) #13

I think Void is not intended for unexperienced users.
You might hate me how much you want, but that still remains true - Void was designed for developers and advanced users.

(Benjamin) #14

Depends on the case, with how stable voids base is I have moved my grandparents onto it and have experianced no issues from them for the 3 months its been installed.

Just out of curiosity, why do you move unexperienced users to Void instead of something like *buntu? That would probably save you a lot of hassle.

(Benjamin) #16

Not really, after initial setup, most people tend not to touch thier computers after initial setup. Its actually more of a hassle if I have them on something like ubuntu or mint than something like arch or void. Of course resualts may very, but so far most of my family have no issues with “advanced distros”.

yeah I agree, and are you really sure *buntu is “stable” it started out that way… but its all about fluff and looks and the user and stability… not so much…

any well engineered distro (which is what Void is) can tick along on its own as long as its regularly updated…
(with the exception of Gentoo where you are basically rolling your own distro (most updates seem to need a tweak or two of USE configs…)

I’m going to give it a month or two to see how stable updates are, but so far it looks good and I’ll be moving some people off mint and various other versions of systemdOS…

for what its worth here is a very simple script to guilt people into doing updates
I have one or two people who’s machines I maintain, who do seem to need this…

#!/bin/bash

n=`xbps-install -Snu | wc -l`

if [ $n -gt 0 ]
then
 if [ $n -eq 1 ]
 then
  m="there is a system update to do"
 else
  m="there are $n system updates to do"
 fi
 zenity --info --text="$m"
fi

Most desktop environments such as for example Xfce have a settings gui to autostart scripts when you log in

wifi is usually up when this is run but you could add to a wait ping loop with warn on n fails at the start (before checking for updates) if you’re connection is less than stella

Something like this with 2 mins training on OctoXBPS and hopefully all should be well for months on end…

(Jacob Moen) #19

I’ve install Void for my non-technical wife. It is perfect!

Unlike Ubuntu and most other distributions, it does not break every 6 months when it is to be updated.

Void is extremely lean, and that matters on an older laptop, and she can’t break anything, so it is perfect :wink:

I removed her Windows installation ages ago… :blush: