I’ve installed an AMD RX 560 graphic card, but Xorg doesn’t seem to like it:

# grep -i amdgpu /var/log/Xorg.0.log
[    97.445] (II) Applying OutputClass "AMDgpu" to /dev/dri/card0
[    97.445] 	loading driver: amdgpu
[    97.445] (==) Matched amdgpu as autoconfigured driver 0
[    97.445] (II) LoadModule: "amdgpu"
[    97.445] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/amdgpu_drv.so
[    97.447] (II) Module amdgpu: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[    97.449] (EE) amdgpu: module ABI major version (20) doesn't match the server's version (23)
[    97.449] (II) UnloadModule: "amdgpu"
[    97.449] (II) Unloading amdgpu
[    97.449] (EE) Failed to load module "amdgpu" (module requirement mismatch, 0)

Probably some problem with ABI compatibility. This happens with kernels 4.12.12_1 and 4.11.12_1.
Searched and found a way to disable ABI checking. But did this and X didn’t start. In fact, I had to press the power button to activate poweroff.

Some more info:

# lsmod | grep -i amdgpu
amdgpu               1486848  8
ttm                    81920  1 amdgpu
drm_kms_helper        122880  1 amdgpu
drm                   299008  8 amdgpu,ttm,drm_kms_helper
hwmon                  16384  3 igb,amdgpu,coretemp
i2c_algo_bit           16384  2 igb,amdgpu

I’d like to know what I can do to solve this issue.

Downgrading Xorg would be my first thought. Do you still have old xorg packages in /var/cache/xbps ?

Hi @Veyrdite, no, I deleted most of them as they were filling my SSD partition. So, the kernel version is behind the xorg’s version?
To build xorg I have to go through xbps source.

On the other hand, what version of the kernel is compatible with xorg-server-1.19.3_6?

amdgpu still suffer the Xorg issue? I’ll plan buying the 460 card, btw this little annoying me.

I’m not sure if this is useful but I use AMDGPU with an SI GPU, xorg-server-1.19.3_6 and Linux4.13 without any issues. Also that link seems to be about using AMDGPU-PRO packages with AMDGPU.

Hi @WantToHelp, what are the ABI versions (kernel, Xorg) you get from the Xorg.0.log?

The only references to ABI versions I can find in Xorg.0.log are:

[     5.634] (II) Module amdgpu: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[     5.634] 	compiled for 1.19.3, module version = 1.4.0
[     5.634] 	Module class: X.Org Video Driver
[     5.634] 	ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 23.0

[     5.589] (II) Module ABI versions:
[     5.589] 	X.Org ANSI C Emulation: 0.4
[     5.589] 	X.Org Video Driver: 23.0
[     5.589] 	X.Org XInput driver : 24.1
[     5.589] 	X.Org Server Extension : 10.0

Installed Linux 4.13-4 and got a kernel panic: Firmware bug TSC_Deadline
With 4.9.51 also got a kernel panic.
With the other kernel versions, there’s always the ABI problem.

:scream:

Thats not good, do you have linux-firmware-amd-20170622_1 installed?
Also do you have a AMD or Intel CPU?

I’ve got a Xeon v3.

# xq linux-firmware
[-] linux-firmware-20170622_1         Binary firmware blobs for the Linux kernel
[*] linux-firmware-amd-20170622_1     Binary firmware blobs for the Linux kernel - AMD CPU/GPU m...
[*] linux-firmware-intel-20170622_1   Binary firmware blobs for the Linux kernel - Intel CPU/GPU...
[*] linux-firmware-network-20170622_1 Binary firmware blobs for the Linux kernel - network
[*] linux-firmware-nvidia-20170622_1  Binary firmware blobs for the Linux kernel NVIDIA GPU micr...

Only the first firmware package is not installed, but the package system doesn’t give much info about it.

EDIT: As far as I know you don’t need that first package (I don’t have it installed either)

Have you got intel-ucode-20170707_1 installed and working with your bootloader?

I didn’t have it installed, it is now.

But how to put it to work with the bootloader? Did a quick search and didn’t find much info.

What bootloader do you use?
EDIT: Also having ucode installed on intel CPUs is very important, it can fix very serious problems

It’s grub 2

You just have to run:
# grub-mkconfig
And then reboot.

grub…
Once upon a time, when Gentoo was all the rage, i.e., maybe fourteen years ago, I learned a lot, including about grub. But when it turned to version 2, I quit. Too complex for my will to understand it.

I’ll reboot as soon as possible and will let you know @WantToHelp.
Thank you very much for your help.

No problem, I hope the ucode actually helps with AMDGPU though!

Kernel panic in 4.13

Same problems.

amdgpu ABI doesn’t match.
kernels 4.13 and 4.9 (at least) with kernel panics

# dmesg | grep -i microcode
[    0.947667] microcode: sig=0x306c3, pf=0x2, revision=0x1d
[    0.947981] microcode: Microcode Update Driver: v2.2.

Seems too litlle compared to the Arch’s wiki

What does your dmesg tell you?

It’s probably because I forgot a step for Void. You also need to add:

early_microcode=yes

into /etc/dracut.conf.d/intel_ucode.conf

And then run # dracut --force to build the microcode into the initramfs. Then it should (hopefully) work.

I had that line early_microcode=yes in the mentioned file.

But when dracut --force:

# dracut --force
dracut: Executing: /usr/bin/dracut --force
dracut: dracut module 'bootchart' will not be installed, because command '/sbin/bootchartd' could not be found!
dracut: dracut module 'modsign' will not be installed, because command 'keyctl' could not be found!
dracut: dracut module 'busybox' will not be installed, because command 'busybox' could not be found!
dracut: dracut module 'plymouth' will not be installed, because command 'plymouthd' could not be found!
dracut: dracut module 'plymouth' will not be installed, because command 'plymouth' could not be found!
dracut: dracut module 'plymouth' will not be installed, because command 'plymouth-set-default-theme' could not be found!
dracut: dracut module 'dmraid' will not be installed, because command 'dmraid' could not be found!
dracut: dracut module 'multipath' will not be installed, because command 'multipath' could not be found!
dracut: dracut module 'cifs' will not be installed, because command 'mount.cifs' could not be found!
dracut: dracut module 'biosdevname' will not be installed, because command 'biosdevname' could not be found!
dracut: dracut module 'masterkey' will not be installed, because command 'keyctl' could not be found!
dracut: dracut module '“crypt”' cannot be found or installed.