Home | News | Download | Packages | Forum | Wiki | Github

[Solved] Scanner HP Photosmart c4200 not working

(marcos) #1

Hello, as the title say, I have a Photosmart C4200 printer with scanner. I have installed cups and hplip, and configured the printer. I can print without problems, the issue is that the scanner is not detected. I have tried xsane and simple-scan, running both with common user or root permission, but without luck.

Xsane says that not device was detected. Simple scan says that I needed to install libsane-hpaio. So I installed libsane.

Also I have added the services of cupsd, cups-browsed and xinetd.

The system is up to date.

After looking the wiki and some of the post in this forum, I can’t find a solution. I don’t know if I’m missing something.

I would like to ask for some help here. Thanks.

(Masato the Empty) #2

Something seems odd here. libsane should already be installed as the soname it provides (libsane.so.1) is a dep for both simple-scan and xsane…

And libsane-hpaio is part of hplip, so you should have that library already as well.

I’m not sure what could be going on with your system though…

Did you add your username to the scanner group?

(marcos) #4

Something seems odd here. libsane should already be installed as the soname it provides (libsane.so.1) is a dep for both simple-scan and xsane…

And libsane-hpaio is part of hplip, so you should have that library already as well.

I said it in a wrong way. As you said, I had already installed those packages.

Did you add your username to the scanner group?

Yes. Also, I have tried executing xsane as root, but xsane says no scanner was found.

Maybe this information could help. Since I removed gnome meta package, I can’t shutdown the computer from my xfce4 session. I have to go back to lxde and shutdown from there.

Thank you for the answers.

You said you have installed hplip. Did you also run hp-setup?

Did you remove it recursively (i.e. with option -r)? Maybe some package needed got deinstalled. You can try to reinstall the xfce4 meta package.

(oliver) #6

This is a total guess but I have a Brother all-in-one scanner/printer thing and the printer was working OK but I couldn’t scan until I manually ran the following command - maybe you need something similar

brsaneconfig4 -a name=HL-2280DW model=HL-2280DW ip=192.168.1.2

Edit - I’m being dumb - the br in brsaneconfig probably means brother :slight_smile:

Ignore this

(marcos) #7

Yes I did run hp-setup, and also tried from 127.0.0.1:631. The printer works fine, but not the scanner.

Yes, I did remove recursively with xbps-remove -R gnome. I can’t find an option to reinstall a package, sorry I’m noob
# xbps-install -S xfce4
Updating https://repo.voidlinux.eu/current/x86_64-repodata' ... x86_64-repodata: 1321KB [avg rate: 152KB/s]
Package xfce4 already installed.

This are my active services:
ls /var/service

NetworkManager agetty-tty1 agetty-tty3 agetty-tty5 cgmanager cups-browsed dbus dhcpcd nftables uuidd acpid agetty-tty2 agetty-tty4 agetty-tty6 consolekit cupsd dhclient lxdm udevd xinetd

Ok, :slight_smile: thanks anyway.

You can reinstall a package with the -f option (force):

xbps-install -Sf xfce4

Did hp-setup detect your device correctly? What does sane-find-scanner say?

Ok, there was something in the back of my mind I just remembered: in /etc/sane.d/dll.conf hpaio is commented out (the very last line), but that’s what you need. Maybe you have to rerun hp-setup and/or reboot after uncommenting that line. See this thread.

(marcos) #9

Thank you bluemoon :slight_smile: !

After uncomment the line of hpaio, automatically I could execute xsane without any problem. Just one line!

I wonder why is commented by default?

I could not find that post in the forum.

Again, thank you for your time.
:smiley: