Home | News | Download | Packages | Forum | Wiki | Github

[solved/patched] Fontconfig update breaks my urxvt & polybar


#21

Thanks for the workaround @shizonic! Good thing I saw this thread before upgrading to the broken version. :sweat_smile:


#22

You are welcome. We are here to help each other. :wink:


#23

Late to the party…

So it’s fontconfig! I thought the culprit was the noto font which got updated along with it, given that changing to the fallbacks, DejaVu and Inconsolata, worked as expected. And weirdly enough, after some config struggling, Noto is working relatively fine too set like this. (I disabled bold because it’s displayed weird, but regular works fine).

!! Fallback xft fonts
!URxvt.font:         xft:Dejavu Sans Mono:style=Book:pixelsize=12, xft:Inconsolata:pixelsize=14
!URxvt*boldFont:       
!! Here -1 decreases the spacing by one pixel, but can be adjusted as needed.
!URxvt.letterSpace: -1

URxvt*font:           xft:Noto Sans Mono:pixelsize=12
URxvt*boldFont:       
URxvt.letterSpace: 0

#24

I know.

This is exactly what the bug report describes here: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=105415.

The solution that seems to work, is to apply this patch and compile it from source: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/attachment.cgi?id=137958

This should also fix issue with polybar, because it uses fontconfig too.


#25

For anyone who wants to use the current fontconfig package 2.13 with fixed bold font issue can do the following until it is officially patched:

1. cd ~
2. git clone https://github.com/voidlinux/void-packages.git
3. cd void-packages
4. git checkout -b fontconfig
5. mkdir srcpkgs/fontconfig/patches
6. curl 'https://bugs.freedesktop.org/attachment.cgi?id=137958'  > srcpkgs/fontconfig/patches/bold-font-fix.patch
7. sed -i '/checksum.*/a patch_args="-p1"' srcpkgs/fontconfig/template
8. ./xbps-src pkg fontconfig
9. xi fontconfig

That’s it. Patched, compiled, installed, WORKING! :slight_smile:


#26

For the record, I didn’t notice any changes from upgrading to the problematic fontconfig-2.13.0_1. .Xresources snippet:

URxvt*font:            xft:Consolas:style=Regular:pixelsize=15,xft:Meiryo:style=Regular:pixelsize=14,xft:Malgun Gothic:style=Regular:pixelsize=14,xft:Inconsolata for Powerline:pixelsize=15
URxvt*boldFont:
URxvt*italicFont:
URxvt*boldItalicFont:

#27

Yes because you are using the regular style. The bug affects only bold fonts.


#28

AFAICT I’m doing exactly what the bug reporter is doing: Set the regular font for boldFont to disable the boldness. The bug is that for him this no longer works. I also tried removing the style=Regular and it doesn’t break either. Not that I’m complaining! :cowboy_hat_face:


#29

But I use a bold font as my main font :wink: And then it does not work without the patch…

Whatever. I patched it by myself how I described in my previous post and don’t have any issues anymore… So for me it’s okay like that. :slight_smile:


(ruelleducube@gmail.com) #30

Some update from my situation, as i said fontconfig 2.13 was not working with polybar and i didn’t have much time to fix it so i downgrade to the older version and everything was working again.
Today I updated my packages and i3 wasn’t working at all and i knew directly that holding the fontconfig package was the problem. So i updated fontconfig, i3 was working again but my bar was gone again (segmentation fault). I solved it by running fc-cache -fv and it’s working perfectly now!
I hope it can help someone, have a nice day. :slightly_smiling_face: