Home | News | Download | Packages | Forum | Wiki | Github

Reimagining Installation Process

I recently installed void-live-x86_64-musl-20170220-xfce.iso and have the following comments:

1. Wi-Fi network configured in Void Live should be used, or at least offered, in Installer.
  2. The installer offers to, but does not actually, create a non-root user. [Bug report]
  3. Bluetooth is common now on laptops, and so should be automatically detected and appropriate drivers installed.
  4. Ditto for other laptop hardware monitors/managers like battery-panel widgets.
  5. A screensaver is not installed by default. It took some time to fgure out why CTRL+ALT+DEL was not working.
  6. date and hwclock do not agree when the system is set to localtime. [Discussion thread]

And finally, my two cents on user-friendliness and user freedom

• Hardware should be configured and presented in the desktop environment.
  • User apps are what should be left alone.
  • Security is a mainly grey area - firewalls, hardening installed apps, secure defaults - these are all tradeoffs between security and convenience/knowledge and so primarily (not exlcusively) depends on the individual.

(Artsiom) #22

The installer offers to, but does not actually, create a non-root user.

I have the same problem when i try to add username user to group username in installer menu.

A screensaver is not installed by default. It took some time to fgure out why CTRL+ALT+DEL was not working.

Many people can use different screensavers.

(seth) #23

why would a distribution that does not ship with X by default ever include a screensaver?

it seems to me that plenty of people are running void and are perfectly happy about it. other distributions exist in the same space that may do things slightly differently. if you prefer their ways, that’s always an option. you could also bootstrap your own linux from scratch and use xbps for package management if you want your own way of doing things.

most of what threads like these boil down to, to me at least, is that people are not willing to adapt their computing preferences to a new environment. that’s not a bad thing – in fact, that’s why i don’t use any other distros besides void if i can help it. i’m not going to debian’s mailing lists asking why they do things a certain way - i’ve found what works for me and i go about my business.

plus the installation happens likely once or twice per machine. not something that requires a lot of thought.

lastly - if you trust anyone to give you a password (especially your distro maintainer) you might as well just go back to windows 10. this is the most asinine thing i’ve ever heard regarding passwords.

grumble. i leave void forums for like 8 months and this is what i come back to?

Fair point, however, there is no harm, and quite some good, in having this highlighted in the installer, possibly with a pick list.

There are Void ISOs with DEs - I used the XFCE one.

As much as I respect and FEELS for this post, I have to ask:

When will NetBSD assume disk size and RAM aren’t the same core? I gave up on sticking it on a 2GB RAM Atom w/ a 500G HD (Kimsufi), because I had to make everything in under ~40GB partitions so it wouldn’t panic when it ran out of real RAM trying to decide if it needed to fsck, even without a dirty bit set.

This wasn’t in 2010. This was last month.

(girduk) #26

Some people (like me) don’t use any screensaver.

I think an option of installing to a zfs root would be great. I’ve done this manually, but an option in the installer would be ideal.

How long until we’re rocking /stand/sysinstall? (Only the elders will understand this).

The biggest problem with ZFS is that it is memory hungry, and Void tries to not to be ayce-systemd (all you can eat). Much like clawing out my eyeballs until I gave up and now just append “net.ifnames=0 biosdevname=0” to my /etc/default/grub to get eth0 back, rather than hacky-parsing ‘ip link’ from rc.local, it isn’t a matter of whether it can be done, but whether or not it should.

Everyone in here who dislikes the installer is free to implement sth like the architect installer script or even embedd calamares into a custom-live cd based on void-mklive or whatever and promote that.
Everyone is also free to open Pull Requests for integrating a desired filesystem and whatnot to the installer script (@go2null which, by the way, can be found in the void-mklive repo and not where you commented your “bugreport”, which cannot be true because the installer works very fine for be in that it creates a user besides root. if you choose the groups carefully you can determine the rights at a first step during installation…)
If you long for a Linux Vint (Mint based on void) you would have to create it yourself.

My opinion about the installer:
it is ok as it is, sometimes I use it, sometimes i install by xbps-install -S -R <...> -r <...>, depending on the target. and there you have it again.

As far as I can tell about the core team, desktop-like-apple-ish-clickibunti users’s is not the main audience for this distribution. Void offers a sane collection of upstream released versions along with some innovative approaches in some areas (no, i do not refer to flatpak)

About documentation: Void wiki is short on some things, sure. but there was nearly no info that i needed that couldn’t be found upstream or elsewere on the net. All (most) void specific stuff is inside mentioned in the wiki or the github repositories.

Xfce version is actualy pretty beginner friendly. Installation was easy for me.

What can I say - it didn’t work for me using the installer from void-live-x86_64-musl-20170220-xfce.iso back in March.

Thanks - it would be great if the repo was updated to reflect that it is not current [see this open issue.].

I just did a new test on my laptop and the non-root user is correctly created.

Did you run void-installer as root ? See issue#line13

# void-installer (with the hash #, I think it means “must be run as root”, it’s implicit, but…)

:sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep:

…ho! @masato has already replied below?! let’s see…

:neutral_face: hmm… so I’m wrong about the meaning of hashtag # ?

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: damn thing !

:confounded: I can’t remember why, but I always assumed that # was for root and $ for non-root, stupid me…

Masa’ you’re a true mine of information, thanks again!! :ok_hand:
I’m going back to :sleeping_accommodation: then.

(Masato the Empty) #33

I think usually a hash sign prompt just indicates any default prompt; # and $ seem to be the most common default shell prompts when not configured by a shellrc file.

Interestingly in Cisco land, it sort of DOES mean something similar to root, though really, it just means privileged execution mode (you’re allowed to run any command that can be run)

(Masato the Empty) #34

Never really noticed it (I rarely run any shell as root, and I usually have a custom prompt) but actually, you might be right. At least it looks like there’s a convention that at least some follow. Looking at the OpenBSD default kshrc, they seem to do it that way (via environment variables - UID=0 makes PS1 a hash sign # ). I don’t know if other shells do it in variables, or have something built in as a default…

hereby requesting conf t access for void enable

Most shells have ‘#’ for root, and ‘$’, or ‘%’ by default for everything else.

(seth) #36

i actually had this issue for the first time on a fresh install the other day. didn’t bother to check it before rebooting after install so i don’t have any information on WHY it happened, or how to reproduce it, but alas.

and yes, i ran the installer as root :weary:

oh well, useradd’s fine with me.

This is what we should seriously investigate.
:spider: Such a strange bug in the installer is unacceptable.
I’ll be back soon.

EDIT: I’ve been thinking about it in my spare time… So this morning I decided to make several fresh installations of Void on another machine, to try to reproduce this supposed bug, but I haven’t been able to reproduce it, sorry. :worried:
Note, I am not saying that you are wrong, maybe I just missed something, who knows?

Well, at the moment I agree with that:

(de69ja) #38

Just thought id ask ‘an obvious question’ regarding terminal permissions - something that occurs with some distros … im assuming all installation media has been dd’ed as opposed to using an application like Unetbootin’ etc which can produce some unexpected data mutation when it mixes with some USB firmware.

I cant fault Void installer :slight_smile: … the installers ‘were’ a bit pernickety about 12-18 months ago … since then,i havent met a Void ISO that wasnt fully functional :slight_smile:

You should read the old topics…

Did you try the x86_64-musl-20170220-cinnamon.iso ?

This Void ISO is not functional, see this old topic:unamused:

(de69ja) #40

Oddly enough … i came into Linux via Mepis,before Mint came onto the scene … and by the time it had,it wasnt what i looking for in a distro … as a result,ive had little experience with Cinnamon.
Does musl have an issue with Vala?