Home | News | Download | Packages | Forum | Wiki | Github

Possible to install OVMF/UEFI firmware for QEMU/KVM

Planning on trying out some virtualization on my Void Linux machine, installed libvirt, qemu/kvm and virt-manager, all seems to work nicely.

Unfortunately I need OVMF/UEFI firmware installed so QEMU can boot UEFI operating systems for a project. It’s easy enough to do with Arch and other distros but I looked and no similar OVMF firmware package seems to currently exist for Void.

Anyone else have any experience with this?

Thanks

(Masato the Empty) #2

You can always download the UDK and build your own (Void does have the necessary tools as far as I can tell). It’s a project I’ve considered but haven’t felt like tackling.

I usually just extract the firmware from others’ builds. Currently using 20160418gita8c39ba from FC24. A bit old now, but works fine for me. I’m used to going elsewhere since back when I was using Jessie, the build they had just didn’t work well enough for me.

If you like newer builds (or like to update them regularly) they do regular builds (nightlies?) at kraxel.org in the jenkins/edk2 repo.

All sorted with the edk2 nighties.

One problem I have is the lack of persistence of the OVMF settings (screen resolution, etc.). In Proxmox (which my main server runs) they solve it by creating a 128K disk image known as “EFI Disk”, but I haven’t figured out how to do the same with libvirt yet.

EDIT: Think I sorted it out, make sure the CODE and VAR files match.

nvram = [
    "/usr/share/OVMF/OVMF_CODE-with-csm.fd:/usr/share/OVMF/OVMF_VARS-with-csm.fd" ]