Package requests

I’ve been using Void now for just under a year. It’s been great coming from Gentoo - one of the most customizable Linux distros, but I don’t miss the hassles that came along with it.

With that said, I’m quickly turning Void from just my desktop distro to my entire network distro. It already runs my web servers, database servers, laptops, and desktops. Only a few packages I am looking to have added and/or updated.

How do I go about asking for an upgrade request or can anyone steer me in the right direction to help the process? I’m a novice with regards to package management, but I can learn quickly.

P.S. The main packages I want to see kept up to date are the Gluster packages. They’re pretty out of date and are making it difficult to use Void to serve the rest of my network with Gluster.

Trying to help you: #15074

Awesome! Thanks cr6. I didn’t even realize I had a GitHub account until I went to sign up just now…

That was easy. Curiously, is there a good read on Void maintainers’ package version strategy? For example, is there a reason to go with Gluster 3.10.12 (a long-term release) as opposed to 3.12.x (also long-term and newer?).

FWIW, I also discovered the xbps-src stuff and am trying my hand at upgrading to Gluster 4.0.2. We’ll see if it works.

According to the homepage, Gluster 3.10 is the latest stable release.

Ah, well color me stupid.

I’ve not even looked at that page. I’ve been basing it off of their release timeline page.

There is no general rule which Version to track. It is mostly whatever is feasible to maintain.

(maxice8 alter) #7
  1. Latest Tagged Stable release if more than 1 release
  2. Latest Tagged

(Erin) #8

It is worth checking Void’s Github first and then posting a request.

4.0.2 probably has better performance than the old version? I don’t know.
However, for your servers you might prefer stability over performance. :sweat_smile:

cr6,

I agree stability is top choice, which is why I wouldn’t recommend 4.0.2 for the Void repo - 3.10 or 3.12 are both LTS releases which should provide the best stability. But I’m using it on my home network, learning and experimenting. 4.0 is acceptable for my use case.

Anyway, more back to the original post topic, I have now found the Git and how to review and ask in there. I’ve also learned how to edit the files from the Git tree and build packages/versions that I want. Brings me back to the Gentoo days…but only need to do it once not once per server :smiley: