Home | News | Download | Packages | Forum | Wiki | Github

[Offical] Desktop Screenshot Thread

(Edmond Dantes ) #397

@r3vilo there’s been an increase in incoming users lately; if you still feel satisfied with the project you could post your feedback and your reasons to switch in the feedback category (remembering to avoid bashing any other OS…well, any other but Windows). Meanwhile I compliment with you for using xterm, without any stupid flushy addition and a sane normal prompt. In light of this, I will also overlook on you using bash instead of a ksh/csh derivative as your daily driver (just joking) :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

openbox + tint2:

tint2 with executors for cpu%, load average, core temps.

(Edmond Dantes ) #399

cool; I have an almost analogue set of system status indicators on my tmux, but wouldn’t mind adding something similar to tint2. Your tint2rc would save me the trouble of doing it myself :wink:

I’m curious about what you’re using as a menu in the bottom left and where you got that nice void icon.

(Erin) #401

We shouldn’t bash any OS including Microsoft’s software. Void is Void; is it the best - depends on the user. For some Windows, OSX, Plan9, Ubuntu or even Void are the best (or most useful) solution.

The menu is jgmenu.

I use this wallpaper generator to create the icon; resized with gimp.

tint2rc with executors

trade you for your .tmux.conf :smile:

(Edmond Dantes ) #404

Erin, I didn’t expect it to be taken seriously, it was a joke :sweat_smile:

(Erin) #405

I know but some people on these forums takes things is a way the author didn’t intend and there is no harm reminding the world even Windows has value.

(Edmond Dantes ) #406

I’m honestly afraid to disappoint you, but the .tmux.conf I was referring to is for FreeBSD, none of those commands is ever going to be of any use here :expressionless:. However I’ll write one for my Void Linux laptop one of these days and update it here if you want :wink:

Thanks for your tint2, I’ll try it the sooner the better :slight_smile:

(Edmond Dantes ) #407

I don’t know what thread(s) you’re referring to, but seems fair and legit, critic/remainder got :slight_smile:

(aleksey) #408

Some more progress.

Variant 1: “full blur mode”, xfwm4 + xfce4-panel with transparency, compiz does active blur. Also translations are massively missing.

Variant 2: “just works”, openbox + xcompmgr + launcher in horizontal config, no blur. Also RGB subpixel antialising :dark_sunglasses:, but i guess there is an option somewhere for this.

Still some isses.

[SOLVED] Choosing a Desktop Environment for a Laptop to Maximise Productivity
(aleksey) #409

Dual monitor config. This is the most problematic area with existing window managers. Launcher on the right (second monitor) is going to be set to forced autohide mode.

Mate check. Numbers on launchers are keyboard shortcuts: super+1, …, super + 0, super+t to open trash. Also RBG subpixel antialiasing again :roll_eyes:

2bwm, lemonbar, cmus

Put void on an older thinkpad for class. It’s running a patched dwm and i3status. Feels like home after some abstinence from tiling wms, I might switch my desktop over from xfce, too. Colorscheme is solarized light.

(Edmond Dantes ) #412

wait,is this Unity?:laughing: I’m puzzled

(aleksey) #413

Yes and no, it’s complicated. It’s a chunk of Unity + kind of control program to glue various Unity components together. I’ll make a dedicated post for this tomorrow, currently tidying everything up and doing some testing.

awesome… again! :yum:

fluxbox, openbox + tint2

(Edmond Dantes ) #416

@PackRat, as promised, my .tmux.conf readjusted for Linux: https://pastebin.com/As232Vc1

It looks like that:

Hoping you’ll find it useful :wink: