Home | News | Download | Packages | Forum | Wiki | Github

No sound in Stanley Parable

Hi! So I just got Void working again and most things are working fine, but when I play Stanley Parable through Steam, I have no sound. Launching steam in a terminal showed these errors when launching the game:

SDL_OpenAudioDevice() failed: ALSA: Couldn't open audio device: No such device or address

ALSA lib dlmisc.c:254:(snd1_dlobj_cache_get) Cannot open shared library /usr/lib32/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_pulse.so

Searching through /usr with find /usr/ -name libasound_module_pcm_pulse.so didn’t return anything, so I assumed that I need a certain package. So, I searched through the repos for all the packages that mention alsa and installed the ones that I thought I might need, but it’s still silent.

Any ideas?

I think steam needs pulseaudio to work properly.

You’ll need alsa-plugins and probably alsa-plugins-32bit to get sound without pulseaudio on steam and steam games.

After installing those and rebooting, It’s still silent. I also have pulseaudio, but there’s still no sound.

Are you using ALSA or pulseaudio?
You probably want to remove apulse any way, as it tends to break things for me.
If you use Pulse make sure Steam is set to use you Pulse output and /etc/asound.conf is also set to use Pulse correctly.

Steam needs libpulseaudio-32bit as well.
Also check if The Stanley Parable is using the right output.

asound.conf is configured to use Pulseaudio, how can I make sure that Steam is using Pulseaudio?

I made a mistake, Steam will use your default sound output, which should be pulseaudio.

EDIT: As a workaround starting steam as STEAM_RUNTIME=0 steam will cause it to fallback to steam’s internal library.

Reinstalling alsa-plugins-pulseaudio and alsa-plugins-pulseaudio-32bit should provide the missing library.