Is void worth it?

I’ve just spent about two hours to get installed and get it to work because the nvidia drivers refused to work with the kernel. Now, I must ask, and I really don’t mean to sound sarcastic or petty in any way, is void worth it for those who use the proprietary drivers for nvidia? I think what I’m trying to ask is if it will happen again, with every kernel update. I’m coming from arch and I got kinda tired because the aur was rarely up-to-date for the programs I wanted and I ended having to compile them myself, and also systemd. I really want to like this(and use it) but first I just need to know wether it’ll be worth it or not.

I had been using nvidia proprietary without any issues until 4.16 and that was patched in a couple weeks.
iirc it was an oversight upstream.

I dont think voids small community can compete with the aur so you’ll prob be building/compiling your choice software here all the same.

In the end you’ll be swapping out an apple for a different strain of apple.
Void uses packages configured to be used without pulseaudio where possible, without systemd. Includes some bsd tech. has 20% better looking people.
Thats about it. Play with it awhile before making up your mind.

(maxice8 alter) #3

Problably not. but so is Linux honestly.

Will problably happen sometimes, i’d use a LTS kernel if it’s possible.

use the proprietary drivers for nvidia

Sadly, this really isn’t Void’s fault (nor any other distros’, for that matter). Nvidia is simply the worst company ever when it comes to linux support. If I remember correctly, Nvidia said that their drivers are only targeting Ubuntu, so they don’t care if they don’t work for other distros.

I just need to know wether it’ll be worth it or not

Well, it depends. While there are lots of Arch “refugees” here, and while Arch is undoubtedly similar to Void, I’d say the biggest draw of Void is its closeness to the BSDs. At least, that’s what I love about it.

Also, if compiling is big no for you, you’ll miss out on xbps-src, which is the other big reason Void is so cool.

That’s probably what I’m gonna do. I don’t have much experience with other distros so when I installed it, it apparently killed some of my modules on my antergos installation.

That’s the thing. It isn’t. It’s just that the aur git packages were terribly out of date for most of the programs that I use, so I just ended up looking up their github and compiling them myself. So why not have that with the benefit of not having systemd?

Also, quick question, what is so BSD-Like in void? The unix philosophy?

(maxice8 alter) #6

I never got the BSD-Like term, it seems like an alias for ‘not systemd using’ , the only thing in common with BSDs is the ports system and problably the usage of mdocml.

@flyingmad nvidia340 driver is working very well in Void. :slightly_smiling_face:

(Max) #8

I have a GTX1060 in my computer been running void on there for over a year. Kernel 4.16 was the first one to give problems. And even if it throws errors, you can always boot the older kernel from grub until the issue has been resolved :slight_smile:

That is hard to answer since everyone is looking for somewthing different in a distro. For me Void is worth it because the community ifs very engaging and quick to help when you have problems with void. I haven’t seen that to a degree like this in any other distro before. :smiley:

I also used Arch before and I couldn’t be happier now tbh.
Steam just works (unlike in Arch where every update breaks it again). The community is nice. Void does not need an AUR since it is very easy to get a package you need into the repo. And the devs are working with the community (best example is the recent managing problems).

I would just try it out for some time and then decide :smiley:

(Jacob Moen) #9

Void is worth it for me because I think it’s awesome! :wink:
I want a rolling release and I don’t want yet another Ubuntu clone or Debian derivative.
With Void, I get the newest software and my system stays stable. I like that Void went their own way.
I tried Arch, but it broke on me a lot… Not stable enough. Also, I don’t have the time to mess around like I used to…
So, Void is worth it, for me.

My only complaint is that they fix issues so quickly that I can’t even manage to cook up a complaint the few times it breaks! :stuck_out_tongue:

(Erin) #10

Yes, yes it is.

• Original author was a NetBSD dev.
  • LibreSSL instead of (Wide)OpenSSL.
  • xbps-* using BSD license instead of GPL like most linux pkg managers.
  • Musl is modeled after the BSDs libc (it even has the strl{cpy,cat,etc.} routines from OpenBSD’s libc)
  • Package management is done with multiple separate utilities like in the BSDs (pkg_add, pkg_remove, pkg_info, etc.) instead of a single monolithic command with a gazillion options (apt-get, pacman, emerge, etc.). Even Alpine Linux has the monolithic apk, and that’s one of the most BSD-like distros out there (the installer is very reminiscent of the OpenBSD one)
  • You can find almost all of the BSDs programs in the repos, while some of the big distros don’t even have them (cwm, opendoas, bmake, lok, oksh, signify, heck even OpenBSD’s sound system (sndio))
  • Lots of users seem to come from other BSDs (at least, that’s the impression I get by reading around the forums)
  • Lots of other stuff I can’t remember right now

Mind you, I’m not saying that being BSD-like is Void’s main focus (even though the words of praise for OpenBSD on Void’s homepage speak loud), but it’s certainly up there.

(William Rueger) #12

The Void developer community is too small to separately maintain a “testing” branch to root out some issues before they appear in the repo. This creates problems, but very uncommon in my experience. My only wish would be for a way to wait and ensure that there are available updates for most or all dependent packages when major libraries change, but that may not be practical.

Ultimately, Void Linux is well worth it, and certainly worth way more than most of us are paying for it!

No! Don’t let anyone tell you that Void is worth sacrificing your freetime, sanity and emotions!

The second you run xbps-install your life changes forever and you most probably will not be the same.

On the other hand Void is pretty nice.

I have already sacrificed my free time fixing broken dependencies and outdated packages on the aur. I don’t think it can get worse than that

(Gus Fun) #15

With the influence systemd has had on desktop based development, running without it for so long and with such positive feedback from users, is an achievement in itself. Basing a distro in a large systemd distro is not much of an accomplishment these days, unless you switch init systems.
So how many distros use runit?
Does it matter the system uses half the time and resources to boot up than a systemd system?
Also I’ve noticed that Void idles and is stable, without processes jumping up and down on the Cpu/ram order. It is a very calm and mellow system, if this matters to anyone. I compare this with other systems running similar wm/de with runit, s6, openrc, sysv.

And I do like Arch, without systemd of course.

nvidia with proprietary drivers just worked out of the box for me, I remember a while back having it not automagically work with kernel upgrades - but that was quite a while ago, frankly it just works, maybe you did something wrong?

as for is void worth it, oh yeah and then some…

(Jordan) #17

It really can! Try a source-only distro and then report back :stuck_out_tongue:

(Jacob Moen) #18

I remember when LFS meant Linux From Scratch - I did that three times! Very educational, not at all practical :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh god, no. LFS is something that I’ll probably end up doing sometime, but certainly not soon. I’m an EE student so software knowledge will hardly be useful in my career. I do admit, it looks fun.

LFS = Linux From Sanity. :smiley: