Home | News | Download | Packages | Forum | Wiki | Github

Installing without initramfs and custom kernel

Moving from Gentoo to Void on my main development workstation, and have a slightly strange question. I use out of tree patches with my kernel, so I always compile my own from source. I also don’t use an initramfs. Is it possible to install void in a way that excludes the kernel and dracut? Would the simplest way to be remove the packages after installing the base system?

Sure. Here’s a great wiki article on manual installation. It’s pretty much like Gentoo’s, but instead of stage-3 you use package manager.

Instead of installing base-system ang GRUB, you can manually install the packages you need. You can see all the stuff that base-system installs on this github page (don’t forget about glibc-locales if you choose glibc version).

I also highly recommend you to check out xbps-src. It’s pretty great for building your own packages and patching existing ones. You can even use it to make your custom kernel without installing all the development ones into your main system.

Edit: not sure if removing would be easier. I think you would have to remove the base-system meta package and use xbps-pkgdb to mark the required packages as installed manually. There is some cool virtual package thing also, but I haven’t used it yet.

Interesting stuff in this topic( I edited the links to @redsith 's articles that were broken )

It’s actually pretty straightforward. You can take a look the depends variable of the base-voidstrap meta-package. It includes only the base system without the kernel, dracut and drivers. If you want to further customize your base install, simply pick and choose what you want. For example you can easily omit the dhcpcd pkg if you are installing void on a desktop with a static ip, skip the xfsprogs and/or f2fs-tools pkgs if you’re using btrfs, drop sudo if you prefer su etc.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have tested an install using a chroot as outlined in the wiki and the base-voidstrap package that AbelCain mentioned in a VM and it did exactly as I wanted. Will do the install on the desktop this weekend. Thanks for the help.