Home | News | Download | Packages | Forum | Wiki | Github

HP 15 f233 UEFI, legacy and void

(Userx) #1

MOD:
added this insert
getting no where in Virtual Box … next is chroot in VB to install UEFI Void
end mod:
MOD 2
xbps-install -S -R http://repo3.voidlinux.eu/current -r /mnt base-system grub-x86_64-efi
gets me
unable to find to locate ‘grub-x86_64.efi’ in repository pool

end mod2

This dude in the coffee shop I hang at. He was updating Windows, two hours later I looked over and Windows was still going through its update process. Playing on his phone still because he could not even get into Windows to do anything due to it updating. That is when I told him that is one reason I do not use Windows. Then He asked what I was using. Linux. I told him, then within 2 minutes of conversation - I am now going to Install Linux onto his laptop for him. he is suppose to be coming in sometime today to do this.

His BIOS is new, with UEFI as the main default booting, with Legacy support. I had to turn on Legacy to get the BIOS to allow the VOID USB Live to even boot.

The BIOS gives a separate listing to access Legacy support. It shows UEFI boot sequence options, then Legacy boot sequence options. With it set up both UEFI and Legacy it still booted windows without error. I guess due to the two separate listings for boot sequence options. So it maybe able to keep it set like that without worry. but I do not think that will be able to by pass the UEFI for the grub to boot Linux as Legacy and if Windows is selected it will just boot that UEFI instead. so I maybe having to install VOID UEFI

He wants to keep Windows, I looked at the VOID wiki on how to install VOID for UEFI booting. I’ve been lucky and not have had to deal with this (crap) UEFI booting. But, now it looks like I am going to have to due to the way that BIOS is programmed, and keeping windows on that system.

So I am trying to get a few steps ahead of this to elevate any “what do I do now’s” I do not want to lose his windows, he does not have an install or repair dvd/cd to fix the mbr/boot partition for windows. He is going to leave with some type of Linux installed on it though, so that should not be a problem.

Hard drive is 4 separate partitions.

1. recovery
  2. OS and user space
  3. recovery
  4. recovery

where do I install Grub? as normally I’d just pick /dev/sda MBR

arch Wiki says to create a 1mb partition for UEFI
GUID Partition Table (GPT) specific instructions

reading this, how to install Void
https://wiki.voidlinux.eu/Installation

then going to the partition page hot link
https://wiki.voidlinux.eu/Disks#Partitioning

just using gptfdisk to Create, alter, remove, convert MBR to GPT and recreate partition tables from backup command line interface,

I should be able to just install Void in a normal install process and hope the grub takes automatically installing grub as UEFI Because it is a GPT hard drive and not MBR and skip all of that chroot install process, because that is a last ditch effort to get Void installed?

But grub will be looking for a UEFI as per this wiki

Void’s Grub install, by default, installs the *.efi file as
/boot/efi/EFI/GRUB/grubx64.efi However, some UEFI implementations look
for the file by a different name, and in a different subdirectory. If,
after installation to a UEFI-equipped machine, Void/GRUB is not detected
as a boot option, try one of the following solutions:

Just install Grub normally as one would a MBR install and hope for the best, and if that does not work then go to plan B?

which is what that says or do the chroot install of Void per these instructions.

Installation on UEFI, via chroot

this is fix the MBR to GPT problem?

We’ll use fdisk to write our GPT partition table:

fdisk /dev/sda

g
w

confusing to me only because I’ve never dealt with UEFI and if this where my system I’d not even worry so much about this, I’d just hack around on it until I got it to work, if need be, taking in that I’d learn from that, but it is not my laptop.

(Masato the Empty) #2

First, the disclaimer. If your friend is not familiar with Linux, I’m not sure Void is good for a first taste. Perhaps one of the more hand-holding distros like (I choke as I type this) Ubuntu, Fedora or one of their ilk.

OK, moving on. UEFI is not crap. It is superior to the BIOS system as it overcomes limitations that modern hardware has long outgrown. And for booting, I like what they’ve done. No more writing boot sectors or needing third party tools to do low-level operations on your HDD. Boot sectors are gone.

What you get instead is a FAT32-formatted partition that the EFI system can actually read files from. It reads an EFI loader on that (EFI version of Windows bootmgr in most cases) which can boot any EFI kernel directly (OK, as always, the Windows loader is limited in its capacity to load other systems but you get the point I hope).

So to apply this to your friend’s laptop.
1) If he has EFI windows which he wants to keep already installed, then he already has a GPT disk and an ESP (EFI system partition). No action required. In fact, touch nothing on there, except when it comes time to clear space for the Linux partition.
2) Make room for the new distro on the existing HDD (I’m assuming a laptop that only houses a single drive, otherwise you could put it on a second drive and making room wouldn’t be necessary). You should know by now how to make space on a drive so I’m not going to suggest anything.
3) Install the Linux base system.

BOOTLOADER
OK, here’s where some additional understanding is needed.
What needs to happen is that another boot loader program needs to be installed (read: simply copied to the ESP and configured, no low-level operations needed, remember).

Then the the firmware needs to point to the new EFI loader (because it’s usually set to load Windows Bootmgr). This is done with the efibootmgr program (present in Void base, and also part of the install environment). That could be grub-efi, syslinux-efi, or (my favorite) rEFInd.

Now, for default Void installs, grub should know how to detect an EFI system and install the EFI loader accordingly (and I assume set the firmware too, but I’m too lazy to check the scripts at this time to see if they actually invoke efibootmgr). That’s if it works and everything goes as expected. I personally choose to do that manually since all I have to do is copy the loader over to the ESP, and configure accordingly (very easy with rEFInd).

GOTCHA
Here’s what I’m unsure about. Grub scripts check for the system type (EFI or BIOS) before deciding what loader to install. But with your live USB actually operating in BIOS mode, I don’t know if the scripts will work to detect a UEFI/GPT target when run from this mode. You’ll need to read the scripts to figure this out. In that case, you would have to install it manually or get a live image that can boot into EFI mode (converting your existing one could be incredibly easy, or could be a real PITA depending on how you’ve already set it up).

(Masato the Empty) #3

According to a debian page I found, you need to be booted in EFI mode for grub EFI installation to work.

Maybe get yourself a grub rescue disk or a refind rescue disk for booting the linux system the first time after installing. Once booted in EFI mode, you could then have grub install/configure the EFI loader, and that should go more smoothly (or look into using rEFInd as an EFI loader because grub is, has been, and always will be a bloody nightmare).

One thing to mention is that I never used the method from the Wiki to install Void on my EFI system. I used the regular install script from the CD booted in EFI mode. I skipped the bootloader which I’d already configured myself. Nothing special was needed.

(Userx) #4

thanks for all of your input.

I gave him what I started with. Slackware :smile: that is simple. :grinning: :wink:

everything is already installed on it. He will not have to worry about installing or updating. Just learning how to get around and do Linux stuff.

(Masato the Empty) #5

Interesting. I thought of slack but I wasn’t sure why. I used it once a while back, and while it’s not a hand-holder, it is simple for other reasons, and I think you hit one of those things right on the head: no worrying about updates. Stable, no moving targets. Good for getting acclimated.

I think that’s a good one to start with if he’s interested in --read: “not afraid of”-- learning real linux (so many people want an OS that’s not Windows but is still Windows, if you know what I mean)

(Userx) #6

My first taste of Linux was Slackware, and all their was out there besides Slackware was REDHAT (Completely free, before they went into pay for support or no redhat mode). And I didn’t even hear of Debian during at that time, as I read now it too came out shortly after Slackware.

I personally do not see what others say about it that are scared to get their hands “dirty”. The only “complicated” task is installing apps. One has to do a lot of typing, and now it is even easier with slackbuids that i did not have when I first used / experienced it.

To me, it does not matter what distro of Linux one uses. One is still going to have to modify a config file here and there. and issue cli commands eventually. It is all basically the same. The differences being how one maintains their system with dependency resolutions applications, where with Slackware it is the users responsibility. With SlackBuilds it tells you want you need to install before hand, and give one links to them.

most anything other then that it is all the same for the most part.

then we have the exception to the rule.

Ubunttututututututu and them that forked off of that. Windows want a bes’. Aimed at them that do not want Windows but still do. Like you said. That is what steered me to Void Linux, it is an original, with only Debian and Slack and just a few other hand full of distros that are not forked off someone elses efforts.

It is basic like Slack, but gives ease of installing apps. removing off of that typing I have to do in Slack to install something other then what is already in there.

Now that person can just considerate on actually learning Linux/Unix commands Bash Scripting, and whatever else he desires. everything he needs is already installed to do most of whatever one needs to do. With 14.2 they even added a few more applications that I had to install to use in 14.1.

And I especially did NOT want him to experience Ubuntututututu Windows clone. There desktop is more work to start up something then its worth, unless one wants to clutter their desktop with icons like Windows. Plus it is too much GUI for me, Just like Windows. Anyways I do not want to write a book on this.

But I do agree about the Windows invasion into the Linux world is actually taking place, conspiracy theory you hinted at. :wink:

Outside of the d - d - dark universe distros, or possibly even including them too, the easiest one I know of for a newcomer from Windows is Manjaro OpenRc XFCE, the desktop is set up like Windows with one bar at the bottom and a menu on the left, it even has an alternative Openbox desktop set up too. The forum looks quiet - but I think that’s because no one needs to ask anything. :bicyclist: :mountain_bicyclist:

unable to find to locate ‘grub-x86_64.efi’ in repository pool

There seems to be a typo involved. The .efi file is the bootloader created by the efi enabled grub program. The grub is in the repository not the bootloader.

I have recently installed UEFI voidlinux using the chroot method and recommend that technique. The Howto is well written and works. The Dell laptop I was installing with provides an easy ‘BIOS’ setup for searching for the new EFI bootloader with a file browser built into the setup.

I was able to install the voidlinux after booting from a legacy void previously installed to an MBR disk. I used the chroot technique to install void onto a GPT formatted USB disk and then just rebooted and changed the BIOS setup from Legacy to UEFI and pointed to the void EFI bootloader on the USB disk. Just follow the void chroot install instructions carefully.

That was fun so because I learned to do chroot I finally reinstalled by copying my legacy void from the MBR disk to the GPT USB disk and then chrooting to edit the fstab and finish the efi changes ending with generating the EFI bootloader. Again, I just had to change the setup from Legacy to UEFI mode and point to the new bootloader. I now have a USB disk I can plug into a target UEFI computer and boot my void installation in UEFI mode.