Home | News | Download | Packages | Forum | Wiki | Github

Grub vs fstab

(Userx) #1

This is a just wondering what would be best, or is it really needed to do this question.

I just did that install Void to a USB Stick thing. got x and fluxbox up and running.

when I installed grub, then update grub it puts the UUID into that file so it knows where to look to boot (yes?).

so I have no fstab entry for my root or anything other then this

[userx@USB16VoidLinux ~]$ cat /etc/fstab
#
# See fstab(5).
#
# <file system>	<dir>	<type>	<options>		<dump>	<pass>
tmpfs		/tmp	tmpfs	defaults,nosuid,nodev   0       0

it boots of course, because I am in it right now writing this. So is it an absoloute that one should really to be on the safe side add the root UUID into fstab also?

(Masato the Empty) #2

I was about to think that in a modern distro, / entry is unnecessary, but that woudn’t be right.

Without an entry in fstab, when the system goes to remount the filesystems (a standard part of most init sequences) it will just use the default mount options (I think). This may or may not be OK with you. If you wanted to specify any mount options (as well as fsck order) then you need an fstab entry.

(Userx) #3

plus I too was thinking if by chance one too splits the system and adds a swap (as I have added a swap) then these too will never be mounted w/o the fstab entries, might as well add them. TOO: if on a usb the anotime to fstab are dully needed.