Home | News | Download | Packages | Forum | Wiki | Github

Get rid of dbus, consolekit, udevd, etc

(Edmond Dantes ) #21

strong Lumina fan here :slight_smile:, however I’m of the opinion that all of its non-FreeBSD ports (OpenBSD, NetBSD, Linux: Arch, Gentoo, Void, Debian) still lacks too many features and are not stable enough to actually represent a serious Qt-based DE alternative. At least for the moment, my slogan is: if you want Lumina, rather take FreeBSD (or same of its spins included original TrueOS-Lumina). For development maybe it’s ok already. 1.4 version brought some very cool features

To rid PulseAudio simply, use a distro made that way.

KXStudio has JACK set to run automatically upon login. From the end user point of view, all audio just works. There is no starting and stopping JACK. You will have to make sure that JACK is set up with your audio interface initially, but after that you can almost forget it is there.

More distros should use JACK for default audio. It’s what all audio professionals use, if they use Linux. They despise PulseAudio with a passion. The problem is MozillaGoogleRedHat politics driving Linux instead of indy thinking presenting users with actual choices. And Void also has a “browser freeze” in effect.

True, but it’s also Fluxbox, and therefore has the stability of same. For anyone trying to dump ConsoleKit and the like while still maintaining a decent DE on Linux it’s really the only choice I know. The big change coming to Lumina will be its custom WM and the project has some impressive devs working on it.

(Edmond Dantes ) #23

I share your perspective: generally speaking I’m minimalist, so for me it’s ALSA on Linux (sndio for fun), OSS/sndio on BSDs (+ALSA emulation on FreeBSD), OSS on Illumos

But If I want/need a sound server, then it’s JACK, absolutely JACK. Never considered Pulseaudio, in my opinion it’s just the typical example of poor-quality bloatware, the kind software mess I’d throw in the bin already and start over.

Looks interesting and I think I will give it a try :slight_smile:

I’m not. I use normal DEs instead of things like i3 or Awesome. I just think they have too much cruft from RedHat and Mozilla et al.

The big problem with BSDs is the software is even more outdated than Debian Stable, plus the drivers are nowhere near what Linux provides. Great for servers, bad for desktops, except when Lumina grows up.

(Edmond Dantes ) #26

The perspective we should share is pulseaudio :wink:

That is largely untrue. I don’t know if used any of them, but really, this sounds like a great misconception. Example: Falkon and Firefoz Quantum were added to FreeBSD Stable before they appeared in Void Linux repo. Example2: OpenBSD is often ahead Void Linux in keeping the GNOME3 port up to date. On the plus side you’re comparing a stable releases to a bleeding-egde/rolling-releases distros: each BSD has a ‘current branch’ which tracks latest programs’ releases and often keeps up with Arch/Void. You’d rather say that, due to lack of manpower,less software is truly maintained, and unmaintained one (~1/5) is outdated and will probably be removed in future.

Regarding the drivers, again,it depends. If we’re speaking of quantity, then you’re right BSDs lag behind especially in things (manpower is scarce again) like wifi, suspend/resume,bluetooth and touchscreens: too many models still lack a proper driver. But GPUs are really not a problem anymore nowadays (Coffe Lake is supported, Radeon’s support is close to Linux). If we’re speaking of drivers’ quality, then in my opinion they’re comparable or even better than Linux (I use FreeBSD as a opensource-gaming platform; performance is just unparallelled). It’s all about hardware support: if hardware is supported (and most of times is by some BSD if taking a ~ 5 years old laptop, on desktop PC there’s usually no problem), then the driver-related issue does not exist. Many users buy hardware ad-hoc; for me it’s like buying a macbook (macOS supports far fewer hardware if you thibk about it): you only buy hardware which you know is supported, and you’re confident that if is supported,it will work out of the box ;).

Find metrics to justify this claim. Freshports tells me what I need to know, still shy of any kind of summaries. BSDs fail to report up-to-dateness on purpose. I’m talking apps, not base system. I have no problems with the base system or kernel, though drivers are often behind Linux.

BSD repos are unpoliced. If I follow then you even say ~20% of BSD packages are stale. That’s absurd QA.

Anyway we’re off-topic. Thanks for the editorials.

(Edmond Dantes ) #28

just to clarify, as I said, freshports refer to ‘RELEASE’ branches, not to ‘CURRENT’ branch, and ‘RELEASE’ should be compared to Debian Stable, Slackware, CentOS or similar; this is all the more true for the other BSDs, but yes, we’re offtopic, and I was about to tell you the same thing; not going to discuss about other statements, and tell you my oersonal point of view, as we would throw ourselves in a opinionated debate which doesn’t belong to this forum, nor either of us probably wants to undergo anyway :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:; I’ll tell you though I’m in agreement with you around the repos’ polishness thing :wink:

No idea! Haven’t tested… just using pulseaudio :zipper_mouth_face: …I use bluetooth almost on a daily basis to stream audio to my speakers. Why not test?

So I can confirm what @Montecristo said: I just uninstalled pulseaudio and the pulseaudio alsa plugins. Further I uninstalled consolekit. Everything works now just fine! Polybar volume control works, Chromium sound works, mpd sound works. :slight_smile:

Now I am just running these daemons:

• autologin-tty1
  • tty2
  • dbus
  • alsa
  • preload
  • bluetoothd

The following daemons are enabled but down by default:

• docker
  • snapper

Further I compiled the 4.15 kernel with zen patches and enabled MuQSS and bfq scheduler.

The system is now stripped down to a minimum for my best experience. :smiley: It is very very fast and responsive!

The only thing I can’t get rid off is dbus because bluetooth does just need it… But I think I can live with it for the moment. :wink:

(Joseph George) #31

i could test :wink: but then i will have to install all those crapwares myself. i don’t have pulseaudio, consolekit, etc on my void or any other system myself. till last year, i used apulse with skype which i have removed now.

Ok!
I’ll see if I can find some time soon to strip down my system a bit (more) :grin:
Although, dbus and ConsoleKit2 are staying.

I think awesome depends on ConsoleKit2, doesn’t it?

it depends on dbus

I just stopped and unlinked the dbus without any problem I can find.

The only reason dbus is installed on my system is because of dbus-glib needed by Void firefox-esr-52.7. I am now using an older firefox-45 binary downloaded from mozilla without dbus requirements instead of the Void firefox-esr because I like the older versions so don’t even use the Void firefox-esr. The Void firefox-esr and newer firefox version also don’t print to pdf or ps correctly with my setup so possibly my config is wrong? Regardless, I might even remove the Void firefox and dbus packages entirely.

I am still able to copy to the clipboard from the old firefox-45 without dbus so see no reason for dbus. I don’t use a desktop manager and prefer just the lightweight jwm for everything. I don’t do a lot of complicated things so everything seems fine now.

I don’t use pulseaudio either. Alsa does everything I need and with the bluealsa from github the bluetooth audio works fine without pulseaudio.

Wow thank you! I think bluealsa is what i was looking for… :slight_smile: I will give it a try!

EDIT:
Okay I think it still does not fit all my needings because I connect my keyboard over bluetooth too…

The basic bluez works with a bluetooth keyboard without problems. EDIT: Should work. EDIT2: Not without dbus. My mistake.

I use a bluetooth keyboard with my minipc with Void bluez. EDIT: No I don’t. I actually have a dongle plugged into the minipc for a Logitech K830 keyboard. Anyway, I am sure the bluez would work for a bluetooth keyboard. EDIT2: Not without dbus. My mistake.

I only have bluealsa built for my notebook just for bluetooth audio.

I don’t doubt that but my “problem” is that bluez depends on dbus :wink:

Yes, the dbus-glib is also a dependency for bluez so I suppose I need to re-enable the dbus. I would have found out when trying to use my bluetooth speaker connected to my notebook.

I used xbps-query -X dbus-glib and that failed to notice bluez dependency. I missed the xbps-query -X dbus-libs check. I should have re-read this thread first. My mistake.

No problem dude :slight_smile: Thx for trying to help!