Home | News | Download | Packages | Forum | Wiki | Github

Foomatic-db-nonfree unable to locate

(Dave Owsley) #1

I am not able to install the foomatic-db-nonfree .
I am not sure how to deal with this. The database is available on
https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/openprinting/database/foomatic
But I do not be understand how to manually install it on the system.
Here is a screen shot of the message I received.

Any guidance will be appreciated.

(Masato the Empty) #2

Nonfree stuff gets sent to the nonfree repo. Install void-repo-nonfree and that should let you install it.

(Dave Owsley) #3

Masato,
Thank you very much.
installing the non-fire repository , updating with bps-install -Su,
and running sudo system-config-printer was a success.
I now have what I consider to be a working system with all my requirements fulfilled.
Do you know if there is a way to clone the setup I have onto my hard disk, or will I need to re-install and build it again?

(Masato the Empty) #4

Not sure of the context here. Did you install to a VM? (I installed Void in a VM and figured out if it was right for me, and got it set up the way I liked. But I was upgrading my HDD anyway, so just used the real LUN for the VM, and when I was ready, booted the HDD on bare metal and so avoided downtime).

Lots of standard tools for cloning partitions. If you are doing it in a VM then there’s a couple of ways; you can connect the new HDD to the VM, boot the VM and use some cloning procedure. Alternatively, Qemu has tools that will export your disk image to a network ATA device, which you’d then copy using standard tools in your host system. I haven’t done that before, so I don’t know offhand the exact commands involved.

Methods for copying partitions include:

• dd - great if your disks are the same. Not so great if you need to do any rearrangement/resizing.
  • manual partition of target, mkfs and file copy. That’s how the Void installer script does it (format and copy).
  • tools like partclone. I think gparted can do copies of partitions between drives too. Don’t do that kind of thing too often, so I don’t have a preferred tool myself.

Then you just configure your boot loader.

• For BIOS systems, that involves installing your preferred bootloader to the target MBR.
  • For UEFI systems, most of the work was done in cloning, and you just need to program your system firmware to boot that disk (efibootmgr, or if you’re lucky, your firmware actually lets you browse to your efi loader).

Each of those parts of the processes are documented all over the internet. Many of us here will have tips for the various stages should you need them.