Home | News | Download | Packages | Forum | Wiki | Github

DNS suffix & NetBIOS

(Ricardo Lapesa) #1

Hi everybody! I’ve just installed Voidlinux on a corporation PC (spanish university) but I cannot connect to the Internet. The previous OS, Win7, had some configuration parameters related to network connection:

• Specific DNS Suffix, and
  • NetBIOS over TCP-IP

I think this is the key but I don’t know how to configure Voidlinux in order to fix this issue. The connection is wired, Win7 y still installed and when I boot up the system in Windows all works fine, but when I boot up in VL, Internet doesn’t work at all.
Any suggestions will be accepted, thankx!

Did you look thru the wiki?

(Masato the Empty) #3

Most likely not.
NBT is a legacy protocol for computer browsing and only applies to the local subnet (Windows computer browser or Samba’s nmbd).
DNS Suffix should be related to client registration in local DNS, but if that’s even used (AD networks rely upon it; small networks with local ddns; basically anything where LAN clients are supposed to talk to each other) it still shouldn’t affect the internet.
–Unless you’re referring to suffix list for DNS searching (when you look up hosts without FQDN, it assumes the domains on the DNS search list). Still not internet related as you always use FQDN or IP addresses for internet hosts…

What you really need to see is whether your NIC is enabled, whether it’s getting the right kind of IP/gateway info, and what gets put into /etc/resolv.conf.

Once you see what’s there, you can proceed to troubleshoot either your NIC driver, dhcpcd, or both…

(Ricardo Lapesa) #4

No info found on Wiki, but @masato has answer me with some information that seems interesting and I’ve to check today… Thank you very much for your advice!

(Ricardo Lapesa) #5

Hello @masato, I’m coming back with no advance :flushed:
I’ve checked NIC driver & dhcpd and everything is ok: As a clue, when I boot up Void I can do a ping succeed to any other PC on the LAN. I’ve also checked some other “logical” info and compare between Win and VL ones, as follow:

Win7:
DNS Suffix: uma.es
DHCP: 172.17.104.245
IPv4: 172.17.111.102
Mask: 255.255.248.0
Gw: 172.17.111.254
DNS1: 150.214.40.11
DNS2: 150.214.40.12
DNS3: 150.214.54.200
DNS4: 150.214.57.8
WINS: 150.214.40.157

Voidlinux:
Inside /etc/resolv.conf
domain uma.es
nameserver 150.214.40.11
nameserver 150.214.40.12
nameserver 150.214.54.200
nameserver 150.214.57.8

IPv4: 172.17.111.103/21
brd.???: 172.17.111.255

Information above has been extracted at the same time from two differents computers in the same network: each one can do a ping each other successfully.
I have some data missed (as DHCP Server or the gateway from Void…) but I don’t know how to access them due to my limited knowness, sorry. ¿Do you think I’m making something worng?, ¿maybe somethig scapes me?
I’m lost… :sob:

(Erin) #6

What software do you use to bring up your network connection? Personally I use wicd which you can choose which elements are fixed, i.e. gateway, mask, DNS.

Have you tested by pinging an Internet IP address ping 8.8.8.8 < Google’s DNS server. If you can, it is a DNS error. If not, I would suggest the gateway is not set correctly. That can be checked with the ip command.

(Ricardo Lapesa) #7

Hi @Erin! Bringing up connection is automated -when the system boots up- (and # wicd: not found) and I can’t install any kind of software because of the Internet connection; it’s not working at all (but LAN conecction is ok…) I’ve try to ping 8.8.8.8 from Void with 100% of packets lost… ¡but from Windows (connected to the Internet) it also fails! All the info (from Void y Windows) I can reach, connection related, appear in my last post… You advice me to check the gateway with the ip command: ¿how do I proceed?
Adding some more info to my last post, when I exec # ip route show:

default via 172.17.111.254 dev eno1 src 172.17.111.103 metric 202
172.17.104.0/21 dev eno1 proto kernel scope link src 172.17.111.103 metric 202

¿Is this interesting for our conversation? Thank you!

(oliver) #8

can you post the output from ‘ip addr’ ?

(Ricardo Lapesa) #9

Hi @oliver, here you are!
Watch IP ADDR output (Google Drive image)

I know I know… this is too shabby, sorry :poop: but it is the fastest way now…

@rik Why don’t you ask the Network Administrator of your university? He could certainly help you.

(oliver) #11

IP/Gateway/Netmask all match what you have in win7 so I’m with @cr6 now and you’ll probably need something from your network admin.

One other thing though, are you behind a router? I’m guessing not but I wonder if that would fix things (I wonder if they’re doing some kind of device fingerprint and you’re only allowed one - if it was a router, that would be the ‘one’)

(Ricardo Lapesa) #12

That’s right @cr6, this is the more simplest and logical answer I’ve ever received, but I like to know and also this service is colpased, hahaha! :sweat: I need a week to be attended if the computer works! And the idea of using another system is mine: ¿how can I argue my deccission of change the OS…? Political and ideological questions my friend. What’s more, I know the answer of the Administrator:

¡Use Windows!, the organization has spend millions of euros on Windows… (I got anger, aaaah! :rage:

To fininsh my dissertation I’ll say to you that I really express my grattitude for your concerness but I’m determined to fix it by my way or surrender to Windows… And it’s more! Due to the crissis, computing department is crashed, and at the same time we are spending lots of money on licenses for old computers that are not very useful: update the hardware or change the systems, isn’t it?.. In brief, thigs here are not very good (as everywhere I think), if I can solve this issue, even it’s possible to install Void on my old netbook! :wink:

(Ricardo Lapesa) #13

@oliver, I’ll do this enquiry, but we should be patient… Thank you and @cr6!

(Masato the Empty) #14

I’m a bit late getting back to the conversation…
The whole thing does seem hard to pin down. As Oliver says, Windows and LInux appear to match what they pull down from the server.

But there is one thing that may be worth looking into. In Windows, do you always get the same IP address? (172.17.111.102) What if you run ipconfig /release in Windows and shut down for a few minutes before booting up again? The reason I wonder is because it’s different in LInux (.111.103), but I’d assume that you’re still using the same network card (MAC address being the most common way for DHCP servers to track leases).

• There are reasons IP addresses change between clients, but they usually involve some downtime on the client or server’s part, as either
    • the lease is released or is not renewed long enough for it to expire on the server and it gets handed out to another client. Most DHCP servers I’ve seen will give the client the address it asks for if it’s not otherwise reserved.
    • the client must explicitly request a different address. This would be very odd behavior for any dhcp client and not something I can say I’ve ever seen.

Ignoring the different IP (after all, it could just be the timing that ended up giving you a different address when you booted Linux) it sounds like there may be some policy-based firewalling, captive portal, or other mandatory access control that you’ve somehow passed on your Windows installation which is missing on Void. Though I really don’t have much experience with mandatory access control methods (I messed with EAP a few years ago for a wifi course and that’s about it…)

Sorry it’s a bit wordy, and it probably doesn’t give you any real answers, but I noticed these things stand out. They could be dead ends, or they could lead to a cause/resolution.

(Erin) #15

Could you post the output of ip route. Am still wondering if the gateway isn’t correct for some bizarre reason.

(oliver) #16

It’s in post #7

(Erin) #17

Trying to see what else is being routed as clearly not being able to ping an IP means something is incorrect.