Home | News | Download | Packages | Forum | Wiki | Github

Development & Void Linux's future

(Steve) #1

Being involved with Linux since 96, I’ve seen a lot of projects come & go, so I’m always a little trepidatious about adopting new distros, software programs, etc. I’ve been enjoying and, more importantly, appreciating Void Linux and its non-systemd-based approach. I was reading about the benefits/negatives of systemd and found a link to this post:

https://www.voidlinux.eu/news/2014/04/void-is-dead.html

Wow. This does not inspire confidence. I started looking at OpenBSD, TrueOS and a Alpine Linux; of the 3, I’d probably go with OpenBSD because they’ve been around awhile & are a solid, I’d just have to learn to do without, again. I’ve used OpenBSD, a lot in the past, and have stopped using things that I enjoy doing: Steam, Flash-based video (now it’s not so much of an issue, but for a long, long time, it was), etc.

Is it still just one person developing Void Linux? Or, is there a development team? If one person quits, is the project dead? It’s only been 3 years, which, like dog years & Linux years is like 500, so it may be a moot point, but it’s still worth knowing.

(David) #2

You should take a good look at the date of that post :slight_smile:

(Steve) #3

I did, that’s why I said “It’s only been 3 years, which, like dog years & Linux years is like 500”… but, seriously, that’s not too long ago. 1996 was awhile ago, 2001 was awhile ago, 2014, not so much. There’s a reason some of the distros have been around, the dev team was large enough to handle impacts to people quitting or leaving (in part).

Edit: Crunchbang Linux is an excellent example of a wonderful project that was closed by one person. Afterwards, the dev teams split and I’ve not used any of their efforts, although I’ve tried Bunsen Labs, but with it using systemd, I moved on.

(Steve) #5

I thought it was “January 04, 2014”, you know, because that’s how we do the date where I live and, there was nothing in that post to suggest that I should not read it like that.

sigh “Dimwit”, really?

(Erin) #6

@nixit “dimwit” is inappropriate and unnecessary. These are friendly forums, a rarity these days, let’s keep it civilised and polite please.

(Jacob Moen) #7

Oh, I definitely want to switch to Biebian! :blush:

Why not http://hannahmontana.sourceforge.net/

:joy:

(oliver) #9

Nothing? :slight_smile:

You can still use other distributions such as Biebian, which contains genuine features: an exclusive wallpaper of yours truly.

This thread is pure gold :joy:

Often when the separator is “.” rather than “/” then the order will be DD-MM-YY.

(Jacob Moen) #12

In Europe, dd-mm-yy is generally how we do it. :slight_smile:

Of course, if the Void blog used an unambiguous date format - like 1. april 2014 - there would be no room for misinterpretation. Especially important with an international audience.

But still, the blog post was a bit exaggerated, don’t you think ? :smile:

This right here is why we use ISO 8601. Also as one data point, I didn’t notice the date and thought the blog post was a little odd but not enough for me to realize it wasn’t serious. Though I wasn’t worried since I did see 2014 and my Void install seems up-to-date 3 years later, so I figured it was serious but things improved.

Whats wrong with you, why do you have to attack me for this?
Many people flagged your post as inappropriate and then it was hidden by the forum software.

(Masato the Empty) #16

I don’t think the attack was against @Duncaen, though I do think he was unfairly dragged into the matter, and in a way that may be nonetheless insulting (or at least undeservedly discourteous) to someone other than the intended target. At least it’s not how I’m reading it.

Unfortunate that an otherwise amusing thread goes sour but I guess we don’t always get a bed of roses…

(Jacob Moen) #17

@nixit should have walked away from the keyboard - never, ever write on the Interwebs when you are upset - I’ve learned this the hard way - also, and this is probably the reason for the roses turning sour, humor and/or sarcasm also does not translate ‘over the wire’ as easily as you might think, because of cultural differences and the limitations of the medium itself. I also had to learn that the hard way.

So, perhaps get back onto the horse, apologise and move on?

((You can call a friend/family member a dimwit and get away with it - but I think it ends there))

(Greg Fitzgerald) #18

(Greg Fitzgerald) #19

(Greg Fitzgerald) #20

This topic is quickly going down hill. Just a lot of bickering back and forth about stuff. I’m going to close the topic now.

(Greg Fitzgerald) #21