Home | News | Download | Packages | Forum | Wiki | Github

Bluetooth headset fails to connect

(kenny_w) #1

Hey guys, so for some reason my bluetooth headset doesn’t connect very easily to blueman. It works just fine on all other Linux distros… I think there must be something buggy with bluez or something but I can’t be sure…

“Connection Failed: DBusInProgressError: In Progress…”

it looks like it’ll connect but then it’ll disconnect… sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t…
Edit: I was able to get it to connect last night -.- but now today it just won’t connect at all.

sudo dmesg | sudo grep -i bluetooth
[ 6.518624] Bluetooth: Core ver 2.22
[ 6.518694] Bluetooth: HCI device and connection manager initialized
[ 6.518707] Bluetooth: HCI socket layer initialized
[ 6.518718] Bluetooth: L2CAP socket layer initialized
[ 6.518742] Bluetooth: SCO socket layer initialized
[ 9.821054] Bluetooth: BNEP (Ethernet Emulation) ver 1.3
[ 9.821060] Bluetooth: BNEP filters: protocol multicast
[ 9.821165] Bluetooth: BNEP socket layer initialized
[ 22.573148] Bluetooth: RFCOMM TTY layer initialized
[ 22.573174] Bluetooth: RFCOMM socket layer initialized
[ 22.573201] Bluetooth: RFCOMM ver 1.11
[kzn@kzn ~]$ ps aux | grep bluetoothd
root 638 0.0 0.0 2352 1088 ? Ss 01:11 0:00 runsvdir -P
/run/runit/runsvdir/current log: d service ‘org.blueman.Mechanism’
(blueman-mechanism:970): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_icon_theme_get_for_screen: assertion
’GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)’ failed Exception AttributeError: “‘NoneType’ object has no
attribute ‘stdout’” in <bound method Tee.del of <main.Tee object at 0xb516c04c>>
ignored bluetoothd[673]: a2dp-sink profile connect failed for 00:11:67:FC:3F:0F: Protocol
not available
root 664 0.0 0.0 2212 688 ? Ss 01:11 0:00 runsv bluetoothd
root 673 0.3 0.2 5980 4460 ? S 01:11 0:00
/usr/libexec/bluetooth/bluetoothd -n
kzn 1036 0.0 0.1 4904 2480 pts/0 S+ 01:13 0:00 grep bluetoothd

I tried doing the solutions advised here, but still it won’t work!
I NEED my bluetooth headphones to work… :frowning: this is a serious deal-breaker for me
it does this with BOTH of my headsets… wow…

(kenny_w) #2

I may be wrong - but it appears ALSA is not running… I re-did the symlink but it STILL isn’t running…

Are bluetoothd and dbus services running?

(kenny_w) #4

Yes! But apparently ALSA is not running… I re-did the symlink, what gives?? :confused:

I restarted the computer but STILL alsa won’t run…

What’s the output of xbps-query -s alsa?

(kenny_w) #6

Its all installed. all of it. all 7 packages.
What services need to be running for it to work??? I took cgmanager out of the /var/service & it wiped my /var/service right out so I had to re-add everything. I was playing around just seeing what needs to be in there & what doesn’t, that was obviously a mistake to remove cgmanager… That’s why I asked in that other thread what services I need that are requirements to have going…

(kenny_w) #7

Hey?
What services do I need to have running in order for ALSA to work??? like… my sound still works… so…???

(kenny_w) #8

Somethings wrong but I don’t know what :frowning:

run: /var/service/NetworkManager: (pid 677) 246s
warning: /var/service/acpid: unable to open supervise/ok: file does not exist
warning: /var/service/agetty-console: unable to open supervise/ok: file does not exist
warning: /var/service/agetty-generic: unable to open supervise/ok: file does not exist
warning: /var/service/agetty-serial: unable to open supervise/ok: file does not exist
run: /var/service/agetty-tty1: (pid 656) 246s
run: /var/service/agetty-tty2: (pid 659) 246s
warning: /var/service/agetty-ttyAMA0: unable to open supervise/ok: file does not exist
warning: /var/service/agetty-ttyS0: unable to open supervise/ok: file does not exist
warning: /var/service/agetty-ttyUSB0: unable to open supervise/ok: file does not exist
warning: /var/service/alsa: unable to open supervise/ok: file does not exist
run: /var/service/bluetoothd: (pid 683) 246s
run: /var/service/cgmanager: (pid 698) 245s
run: /var/service/consolekit: (pid 710) 245s
run: /var/service/dbus: (pid 682) 246s
warning: /var/service/dhclient: unable to open supervise/ok: file does not exist
warning: /var/service/dmeventd: unable to open supervise/ok: file does not exist
warning: /var/service/slapd: unable to open supervise/ok: file does not exist
run: /var/service/udevd: (pid 670) 246s
run: /var/service/uuidd: (pid 657) 246s

Even when I get alsa to run, bluetooth just doesn’t work!!! :@
I have to use runsv just to get alsa to work but even then it seems like something just isn’t right…
Also, my controllers connect just fine…

Well, something is wrong indeed…
Bluetooth is working for me. I’ve showed you all the services I have running already on another thread.

(kenny_w) #10

bluetooth works for me too though, my PS3 controllers connect no problem!!
Idk, if I can’t solve this early tomorrow then I’m just giving up on Void Linux. I need my headphones to work.

Even when I had my bluetooth headset working, it was hard to get it to connect. So I guess I just have to give up on Void Linux :cry:

warning: /var/service/alsa: unable to open supervise/ok: file does not exist

I can’t make ALSA run no matter what I do…

ALSA is a part of the Linux kernel. You definitely don’t need any services to run ALSA, the only thing /etc/sv/alsa does is storing and restoring the current driver state (mixer levels etc).

PS I have no experience with bluetooth but AFAIK Bluez5 dropped the direct integration for ALSA and requires PulseAudio. There’s also bluez-alsa but it’s not packaged for Void at the moment.

If I were you: I would reinstall a fresh system, it’s faster…

If I were you: I would reinstall a fresh system, it’s faster…

That’s the laziest way to make things work again. You can’t learn anything by reinstalling a system whenever it’s broken.

Looking at your other thread my bet is that you’ve disabled the system-wide pulseaudio service. Take a look at https://wiki.voidlinux.eu/PulseAudio#Recommended_setup.

I was just saying that it’s faster…
Thank you for calling me lazy.

No offense meant; I wasn’t calling you lazy. Maybe it wasn’t the best way of saying that, however don’t think reinstalling whole system would be faster than re-enabling accidentally disabled services. Besides, what if it happens again? I think it would be less time consuming to fix it once and for all.

I don’t think so. Have a look at the wiki again, it clearly states, the system wide setup should be avoided in most common cases. Also, https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/PulseAudio/Documentation/User/WhatIsWrongWithSystemWide/

I have no issues with bluetooth or alsa. pulseaudio is installed since, as you already mentioned the current version of bluez needs it, but the pulseaudio service doesn’t have to be enabled, at least not here :wink:

(kenny_w) #17

Lol that’s actually what I already did cr6

Edit: after re-installing Void Linux, my bluetooth works perfectly.

Thanks for the hint, mcz. I now have my bluetooth speaker working using the bluez-alsa.

I compiled the bluealsa with openaptx enabled from the Arkq git masters on my notebook computer after installing the needed packages:

sbc-1.3_1
alsa-lib-devel-1.1.5_1
libbluetooth-devel-5.48_1
zlib-devel-1.2.11_2
bzip2-devel-1.0.6_11
libpcrecpp-8.41_2
pcre-devel-8.41_2
libffi-devel-3.2.1_4
expat-devel-2.2.5_1
dbus-devel-1.12.2_1
elfutils-devel-0.170_1
libuuid-devel-2.31.1_1
libblkid-devel-2.31.1_1
libmount-devel-2.31.1_1
libglib-devel-2.54.3_2
sbc-devel-1.3_1
libogg-devel-1.3.3_1
libvorbis-devel-1.3.5_1
libflac-devel-1.3.2_2
sqlite-devel-3.22.0_1
libsndfile-devel-1.0.28_1

The bluealsa program is supposed to be run as root during computer startup so I created the /etc/sv/bluealsa and enabled that by linking in /var/service. My ‘run’ program just execs the /usr/bin/bluealsa program.

#!/bin/sh
exec /usr/bin/bluealsa >/dev/null

Then I just copied and pasted the sample .asoundrc from the github and followed the directions and my speaker worked the first attempt. The ‘bluealsa’ device even works in alsamixer and with mplayer. I haven’t tried the aptx headphone stuff yet.

I wish there was a Void package for the bluealsa to avoid getting my notebook full of files I just use once and then am stuck with them or else find and clean them out if possible. The build was easy anyway and the bluetooth audio now works fine without the pulseaudio reinterpretation, complexity, bloat and duplicity.